Help with mites! I’m not sure if they’re red mites or NF mites?

I don't know how hard it is to find a vet to prescribe it for their drinking water but it sounds promising!
That's why I'm asking how they got it. The ingredient (Fluralaner) is the same as what's in Bravecto for Dogs and Cats, but that is a chewable or topical (and requiresa Vet script). The product called Exzolt for poultry water does not seem to be available in the U.S., despite research that it is very effective for treating poultry mites (so I'm curious as to how Regann obtained it).

That's why I'm asking how they got it. The ingredient (Fluralaner) is the same as what's in Bravecto for Dogs and Cats, but that is a chewable or topical (and requiresa Vet script). The product called Exzolt for poultry water does not seem to be available in the U.S., despite research that it is very effective for treating poultry mites (so I'm curious as to how Regann obtained it).
You have to dig... you can order smaller doses from sellers overseas... it is NOT CHEAP. I believe mine ultimately came from Bulgaria. But a little goes a very long way. It's dosed and calculated by water intake over a 24 hour period. All the abstracts I've read, basically state, it's damn near impossible (within reason) to OD the chooks on it. The bigger concern would be under dosing and creating a resistance.
I have my dogs on Nexgard (Fluralaner and afluraner) too, due to these damn things.
I've thought about taking it myself, lol! I've read a few papers on that too!

You have to dig... you can order smaller doses from sellers overseas... it is NOT CHEAP. I believe mine ultimately came from Bulgaria. But a little goes a very long way. It's dosed and calculated by water intake over a 24 hour period. All the abstracts I've read, basically state, it's damn near impossible (within reason) to OD the chooks on it. The bigger concern would be under dosing and creating a resistance.
I have my dogs on Nexgard (Fluralaner and afluraner) too, due to these damn things.
I've thought about taking it myself, lol! I've read a few papers on that too!
Good to know! Thanks for the info! :)

Has anyone tried sulfur? Research shows it’s 99% effective with dusting the birds and then hanging sulfur bags where they bump into it and dust themselves.
Apparently the mites have some super genetic code that makes them immune to permethrin. So back to nature we go and return to the good old ways.

Has anyone tried sulfur? Research shows it’s 99% effective with dusting the birds and then hanging sulfur bags where they bump into it and dust themselves.
Apparently the mites have some super genetic code that makes them immune to permethrin. So back to nature we go and return to the good old ways.
I put sulfur in the dust bath! It doesn't smell great, but it's worth the peace of mind that it's (hopefully) preventing mite/lice infestation. 🤞

I put sulfur in the dust bath! It doesn't smell great, but it's worth the peace of mind that it's (hopefully) preventing mite/lice infestation. 🤞
Well if the mites aren’t moving into your home and hogging the remote … I’d say it’s working better than commercial products. I’ve owned chickens for decades and NEVER seen it so bad. I ordered the sulfur and will be itching until it gets here.

Well if the mites aren’t moving into your home and hogging the remote … I’d say it’s working better than commercial products. I’ve owned chickens for decades and NEVER seen it so bad. I ordered the sulfur and will be itching until it gets here.
I'm using sulfur in the coop, enclosure and their dust bath. Its does help. Its been part of my 20 prong battle plan, lol. Baking soda has helped too. Salt, borax and sulfur are regular deliverfor me now.

Oof! So sorry you're dealing with it. It's pretty much my worst chicken-keeping nightmare. I'm constantly checking the birds and the coop. 😵‍💫🪲

Northern fowl mite tend to be darker than red mite which are in fact not red until they eaten.
Northern fowl mite are not resistant to permthrin here where I live, not have I read of resistance to permethrin in any other part of the world.
Get a piece of white tissue and wipe it along the underside of the roost bar at night while the chickens are roosting. If you have red mite some will make bloody spots on the tissue.
NFM live on the chicken and not in the coop so you would need to check each chicken for mites.
If you have a serious infestation of red mite you have many weeks of work ahead of you to rid the coop of them.
Would putting large amount of DE in coop & treating eA hen with it get rid of mites (for Organic flocks)?

Back
Top Bottom