MITE problem, PLEASE help!! Permethrin liquid concentrate

chickenchicken123

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
I have six chickens and they keep on getting mites from wild birds in the area. Theyve gotten it 3-4 times or less last year :(

I want to get permethrin liquid concentrate to spray down the coop and the chickens. I just wanted to only spray down the chickens instead of fully dipping them. I can’t dip them in the day time, I think it’ll just traumatize them. so i thought thoroughly spraying them down would work? Or maybe for now since it’s raining on and off I should use permethrin dust in them to try and control whatever infestation is on them?

I wanted to know how long the permethrins residual effect is after I spray it on the chickens. How long it’ll last and will it last if it’s raining on annd off with the birds or the coop getting wet?

And could I apply the spray on the coop and birds maybe every other month or other two months due to the wild birds always infesting them as a safety measure? I heard it lasts 28 days after you spray it so every other month or two months to spray? Or maybe you can’t do it this often because the pests might get resistant.

Anyways please help, thank you!

Last edited:
I would try to find Martins or Gordons Permethrin 10 concentrate at Tractor Supply or online. A pint is less than 10 dollars, and you can buy a quart, and those will make many gallons mixed with water to use in a garden sprayer or spray bottle. It is mixed according to the label instructions for what you are treating. I use 1 tsp per quart or liter. To use on the chickens, spray 15 ml or 1/2 ounce. But in cold weather, it is better to use the garden dust in the chickens. The permethrin garden dust is usually available in feed stores and online.

When treating the coop and facilities, remove all bedding from coop and nests, and take far away or burn it. The permethrin spray will last 30 days in the coop. Let it dry completely for a few hours to let chickens back inside. Do not use around bees if you raise the. Since mite eggs hatch every 5-7 days, the chickens may require retreatment with the dust or spray every 7 days a couple of times to get the newly hatched mites, since permethrin doesn’t kill the eggs, only live mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom