Help with Poultry Lameness due to Bacterial - E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus - Possibility?

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
MY POULTS ARE GONIG LAME + SOME HAVE DIED (unsure if its connected)

New poults. Day Old's.

Coop Setup: 3 lamps in a neat row, disinfected coop, coop is ventilated, have not had birds for over 6 months (HAD a problem with infectious cryoza in laying hens - BUT haven't had birds for quite some time). My coop, completely bleached, disinfected with Simple Green Poultry House Cleaner, laid down wood pellets, then a 8 inch or more layer of pine shavings. Plus all new feeders and waterers (I was just told by @R2elk not to use shavings, but I was told by the hatchery to use shavings. 😫😖

👉 Feed: 26% chick starter (new bag from Co-Op)

👉 Fresh Water: with Pol-Vite

👉 I had them 1.5 days
>>> and 2 died.

👉 On the 2.5th Day
>>> 1 more died.
that night, noticed, lameness.

👉 On the 3rd day
>>> 2 went lame, 1died.
1 of the 2 was suffering badly, we euthanized it.

👉 They were ok for Saturday, and some of Sunday and now Monday . . .
>>> 3 more are lame.
1 of the 3 was very weak, I saw it poop SUPER DARK poop, then it pooped again, it cant move - we euthanized just now.

THIS ARTICLE STATES 👉
https://bit.ly/2xN3Wz5
"Rule of thumb: In general, deaths in chicks in approximately the first 3-4 days post-hatch are closely linked to the quality of the day-old chicks from the hatchery."

"If you see lame chicks or huddled chicks below seven days of age, the cause is often related to a bacterial infection from bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus."

----------

My question is. Would they have gotten

E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus FROM my disinfected coop? OR because they died so quickly within 1.5 days from the hatchery. Is it possible it has something to do with the hatchery and how they did it or their conditions?

Thanks everyone, I am at a loss and I have sent off 2 poults for necropsy.

Attachments

• 2064237-d0df37ec3764da24432d901f9bdd3dc5.jpg
    2064237-d0df37ec3764da24432d901f9bdd3dc5.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 94017606_1212117662453348_9076969078614130688_n.jpg
    94017606_1212117662453348_9076969078614130688_n.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 93585412_1082821538742070_4717531239714652160_n.jpg
    93585412_1082821538742070_4717531239714652160_n.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 93995956_219455519471607_1611080183060627456_n.jpg
    93995956_219455519471607_1611080183060627456_n.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
MY CHICKS ARE GONIG LAME AND (SLOWLY) DYING

Got new chicks (poults actually).

I had them 1.5 days
>>> and 2 died.

On the 2.5th Day
>>> 1 more died.

On the 3rd day
>>> 2 went lame, 1died.

They were ok for Saturday, and some of Sunday
and now Monday . . .
>>> 3 more are lame.
1 of the 3 was very weak, I saw it poop SUPER DARK poop, then it pooped again, it cant move - we euthanized just now.

THIS ARTICLE STATES:
"Rule of thumb: In general, deaths in chicks in approximately the first 3-4 days post-hatch are closely linked to the quality of the day-old chicks from the hatchery."

"If you see lame chicks or huddled chicks below seven days of age, the cause is often related to a bacterial infection from bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus."

My birds are only 6 days old and now I have lost a total of 6 dead in under 6 days. Again > "Rule of thumb: In general, deaths in chicks in approximately the first 3-4 days post-hatch are closely linked to the quality of the day-old chicks from the hatchery."

I have not had birds for over 6 months.
My coop, completely bleached, disinfected with Simple Green Poultry House Cleaner, dried it good, laid down wood pellets, then a 8 inch or more layer of pine shavings. Plus all new feeders and waterers.

My question is. Is it possible I had E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus in my disinfected coop? I brought all the birds inside my house because I thought maybe being outside was killing them, even though the temp in the coop was perfect, its dry outside etc.

Or because they died so quickly (as soon as I got them from the hatchery within 1.5 days) is it possible it has something to do with the hatchery and how they did it or the conditions?

Thanks everyone, I am at a loss, and it looks like I may loose my 50 Turkey.

Any info appreciated.
Can you provide a link to the article please?

These are Turkey Poults you are talking about correct?

Let's get some Turkey folks to give you some feedback.
@casportpony @R2elk I'm not sure who else!

MY CHICKS ARE GONIG LAME AND (SLOWLY) DYING

Got new chicks (poults actually).

I had them 1.5 days
>>> and 2 died.

On the 2.5th Day
>>> 1 more died.

On the 3rd day
>>> 2 went lame, 1died.

They were ok for Saturday, and some of Sunday
and now Monday . . .
>>> 3 more are lame.

THIS ARTICLE STATES:

My birds are only 6 days old and now I have lost a total of 6 dead in under 6 days. Again > "Rule of thumb: In general, deaths in chicks in approximately the first 3-4 days post-hatch are closely linked to the quality of the day-old chicks from the hatchery."

I have not had birds for over 6 months.
My coop, completely bleached, disinfected with Simple Green Poultry House Cleaner, dried it good, laid down wood pellets, then a 8 inch or more layer of pine shavings. Plus all new feeders and waterers.

My question is. Is it possible I had E. coli, Salmonella, Streptococcus or Enterococcus in my disinfected coop? I brought all the birds inside my house because I thought maybe being outside was killing them, even though the temp in the coop was perfect, its dry outside etc.

Or because they died so quickly (as soon as I got them from the hatchery within 1.5 days) is it possible it has something to do with the hatchery and how they did it or the conditions?

Thanks everyone, I am at a loss, and it looks like I may loose my 50 Turkey.

Any info appreciated.
Required information:

Temperature the poults are being kept at.
Feed the poults are being fed.

First rule is do not keep newly hatched poults on shavings. They can and will eat the shavings. If poults are on shavings, they must have access to grit or they will not be able to digest the shavings and they can die from this.

You claim the temperature in the coop is perfect but do not provide what the temperature was. Ideal brooder temperatures require a hot zone (90°F) and cooler zones so that the poults can go to and from the zones as they feel the need. An area that is all one temperature is not an ideal situation.

Instead of speculating on the cause of death follow @casportpony 's often repeated advice. Have a necropsy done.

Last edited:
Required information:

Temperature the poults are being kept at.
Feed the poults are being fed.

First rule is do not keep newly hatched poults on shavings. They can and will eat the shavings. If poults are on shavings, they must have access to grit or they will not be able to digest the shavings and they can die from this.

You claim the temperature in the coop is perfect but do not provide what the temperature was. Ideal brooder temperatures require a hot zone (90°F) and cooler zones so that the poults can go to and from the zones as they feel the need. An area that is all one temperature is not an ideal situation.

Instead of speculating on the cause of death follow @casportpony 's often repeated advice. Have a necropsy done.

I have never heard of a "HOT SPOT" - this is very interesting. So the rest of the room could be typical temperature or even an outside temperature, but so long as they have a "hot spot" to go under this is ok? I guess it would be similar to a turkey hen (as the hot spot) and being outside. So could I take them into my garage instead of my dining room? Thank you so much for your help.

** I have updated my original Post at the Top ** ** Tried to clean it up a bit **

ARTICLE I was referring too: https://bit.ly/3eBBwbU
Her other thread indicates that they may be 6 weeks old and that her chickens have infectious coryza.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/6-week-turkey-poults-go-into-empty-chicken-pen.1315205/

Last edited:
Her other thread indicates that they may be 6 weeks old and that her chickens have infectious coryza.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/6-week-turkey-poults-go-into-empty-chicken-pen.1315205/

Hello R2Elk.I did have infectious cryoza, from birds I got from someone (never doing that again). However, these chicks were not near that coop - I have many, and I have not had chickens for quite some time, and everything I own feeders etc, is either new or disinfected.

Back
Top Bottom