Help with sexing 2 barnyard mixes

JosieMaeChickens

Chirping
Nov 21, 2022
These two are approximately 3 months old. They have me stumped because of the flat combs. We have over 50 chicken and I’ve been able to tell them apart by now or way sooner. But this comb type and feather color is new to me, so I’m second guessing myself. Please give me y’all’s opinions. 😊 Picture are separate in a reply.

These two are approximately 3 months old. They have me stumped because of the flat combs. We have over 50 chicken and I’ve been able to tell them apart by now or way sooner. But this comb type and feather color is new to me, so I’m second guessing myself. Please give me y’all’s opinions. 😊

Attachments

• 7407551C-82AC-4DCD-8B1C-40D3B943CE7F.png
    7407551C-82AC-4DCD-8B1C-40D3B943CE7F.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • EC01CDC1-FDB9-42D8-913F-041EE985EF9C.png
    EC01CDC1-FDB9-42D8-913F-041EE985EF9C.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
These two are approximately 3 months old. They have me stumped because of the flat combs. We have over 50 chicken and I’ve been able to tell them apart by now or way sooner. But this comb type and feather color is new to me, so I’m second guessing myself. Please give me y’all’s opinions. 😊

Attachments

• 378543B4-0184-43D8-B998-D6DA897B212F.png
    378543B4-0184-43D8-B998-D6DA897B212F.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 3B81496E-2028-4F36-806D-5709DE9F66DF.png
    3B81496E-2028-4F36-806D-5709DE9F66DF.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
These two are approximately 3 months old. They have me stumped because of the flat combs. We have over 50 chicken and I’ve been able to tell them apart by now or way sooner. But this comb type and feather color is new to me, so I’m second guessing myself. Please give me y’all’s opinions. 😊 Picture are separate in a reply.
I think they are probably females, but it is hard to be entirely sure. If they are the same age, I am confident that they are the same gender as each other.

I am partly going by the size & color of the combs and wattles.

I am partly going by the shape of the feathers on their backs (narrow pointy saddle feathers would mean males, rounded feathers can mean females or can mean young males or can mean henfeathered males of any age. But at this age, female seems more likely than the other possible reasons for rounded feathers.)

The first one has a bit of gold/brown color in the wings. It is common for mixed-breed males to have red there, but this is not really red and not terribly obvious, so I don't know how to interpret it. The second one does not have that color, but not all mixed-breed males do, so that doesn't prove anything either direction.

Last edited:
I think they are probably females, but it is hard to be entirely sure. If they are the same age, I am confident that they are the same gender as each other.

I am partly going by the size & color of the combs and wattles.

I am partly going by by the shape of the feathers on their backs (narrow pointy saddle feathers would mean males, rounded feathers can mean females or can mean young males or can mean henfeathered males of any age. But at this age, female seems more likely than the other possible reasons for rounded feathers.)

The first one has a bit of gold/brown color in the wings. It is common for mixed-breed males to have red there, but this is not really red and not terribly obvious, so I don't know how to interpret it. The second one does not have that color, but not all mixed-breed males do, so that doesn't prove anything either direction.
Yes this was along the lines of what I was thinking as well. We have hatched a lot of barnyard mix chicks and like you said the reddish color on the feathers is common in males.. the only female we got with the reddish feather is this hen and it’s not that much.

Attachments

• DF543E86-4E44-49BC-9395-C21F18623231.jpeg
    DF543E86-4E44-49BC-9395-C21F18623231.jpeg
    587.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes that’s why I’m so confused. They look like slow maturing rooster at times. There is 5 other roosters that hatched with them so same age and they are very very obvious.

Yes that’s why I’m so confused. They look like slow maturing rooster at times. There is 5 other roosters that hatched with them so same age and they are very very obvious.
Yes I agree they are just slow maturing. I see the rounded feathers, but everything else screams cockerel like the red combs, the stance, the short tails (pullet tails are long, typically) the thick legs and feet, the irregular color pattern. That is just my opinion. But do keep up posted, it'd be nice to know the result.

Back
Top Bottom