HELP with tapeworms- no luck with Zimecterin Gold :(

ypi

Hatching
Jun 9, 2022
Hi all, new member but long-time lurker here! I have a 1.5-year old hen that has been suffering from tapeworms (confirmed) for the last couple of months. She still has tapeworm segments in her poop after repeated rounds of Zimecterin Gold/Praziquantel, dosed properly according to several sources on here (0.03 mL/lb, 2 doses with 10 day interval in-between). Her poop clears after but the tapeworm segments inevitably come back after a while (maybe they've become resistant?). She seems to be very healthy otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had any success with Valbazen or Safeguard AFTER trying Praziquantel already?

It's been a long battle and I'm at my wits' end. Thank you all!

It could be that you were using the dosage for Equimax, not for Zimectrin Gold. Here in post 6 is the dosage for each medicine, and I would go with the upper dosage of 0.12 ml per pound:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-chickens-with-zimecterin-gold.1314819/

Tapeworms can infest a chicken through an intermediate host, such as earthworms, beetles, snails, slugs, flies, and grass hoppers who eat the tapeworm eggs. Along with cleaning up droppings which contain the eggs, reducing these intermediate hosts in your environment can help in them not reinfecting themselves. Praziquantel, the ingredient in Equimax and Zimectein Gold horse pastes, is the best product to treat tapeworms.

Last edited:
Hi all, new member but long-time lurker here! I have a 1.5-year old hen that has been suffering from tapeworms (confirmed) for the last couple of months. She still has tapeworm segments in her poop after repeated rounds of Zimecterin Gold/Praziquantel, dosed properly according to several sources on here (0.03 mL/lb, 2 doses with 10 day interval in-between). Her poop clears after but the tapeworm segments inevitably come back after a while (maybe they've become resistant?). She seems to be very healthy otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had any success with Valbazen or Safeguard AFTER trying Praziquantel already?

Our chickens had gape worms & thread worms. We bit the bullet & took her to the vet. She was prescribed Panacur (Fenbendazole) wormer. It was definitely diluted due to it being a goat & pig dewormer. I think it's 2.3ml or 2.5 mo per 100 lbs. So you'll definitely have to do the math on that one. You can pick it up at any tractor supply store. I would treat it sooner rather than later as it could put your chicken through distress. On average I believe there's a 10 day period with gape worm. Not sure about the other.

With the dilution it was 1.5 ML by mouth once daily to the bigger chickens & 1ML by mouth once daily to the smaller chickens for 5 consecutive days.

Oil of oregano is what a lot of chicken farmers use in waterers to help prevent bacteria growth, etc. I also recommend "hen helper" & "Ropadiar liquid organic premix as well".

Hope this helps! 🙏

It could be thatyou were using the dosage for Equimax, not for Zimectein Gold. Here in post 6 is the dosage for each medicine, and I would go with the upper dosage of 0.12 ml per pound:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worming-chickens-with-zimecterin-gold.1314819/

Tapeworms can infest a chicken through an intermediate host, such as earthworms, beetles, snails, slugs, flies, and frasshoppers who eat the tapeworm eggs. Along with cleaning up droppings which contain the eggs, reducing these intermediate hosts in your environment can help in them not reinfecting themselves. Praziquantel, the ingredient in Equimax and Zimectein Gold horse pastes, is the best product to treat tapeworms.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Would you recommend that I try again with the higher dosage even though the tapeworms may already be resistant to the Zimecterin Gold?

Our chickens had gape worms & thread worms. We bit the bullet & took her to the vet. She was prescribed Panacur (Fenbendazole) wormer. It was definitely diluted due to it being a goat & pig dewormer. I think it's 2.3ml or 2.5 mo per 100 lbs. So you'll definitely have to do the math on that one. You can pick it up at any tractor supply store. I would treat it sooner rather than later as it could put your chicken through distress. On average I believe there's a 10 day period with gape worm. Not sure about the other.

With the dilution it was 1.5 ML by mouth once daily to the bigger chickens & 1ML by mouth once daily to the smaller chickens for 5 consecutive days.

Oil of oregano is what a lot of chicken farmers use in waterers to help prevent bacteria growth, etc. I also recommend "hen helper" & "Ropadiar liquid organic premix as well".

Hope this helps! 🙏

Thank you for your reply as well! Did you find the Panacur helped kill off the worms in your chickens indefinitely?

Yes!!! We were also told to not eat the eggs for 7 days after the last dose of the dewormer.

Also, If by chance your chicken becomes infested with worms it could possibly irritate their air sacs thus resulting in respiratory infection. As an added precaution the vet prescribed an antibiotic. Doxycycline 100mg 1 tablet by mouth every 24 hrs (once daily) given with food. Do not give with dairy products. The dosing comes out to 20mg per 2.2 of chicken.

Exactly how were you administering the Zimecterin Gold?

Thank you so much for your reply!

Would you recommend that I try again with the higher dosage even though the tapeworms may already be resistant to the Zimecterin Gold?
If you gave it in the past orally, I would use the higher dose. Some people try to put medicines in the water, where they don’t get the proper dose. For wormers, giving it orally to each chicken is best. But I cannot stress that they will get them again if the intermediate hosts are around. It may be something that needs to be done at intervals to get them under control and eventually gone. Do you happen to have any pictures of droppings with tapeworms to share? @dawg53 is a good source for worming. He has a lot of experience.

Tapes are definitely a pain in the neck to get under control. Sometimes it seems every insect that chickens eat are tapeworm infected, it becomes an ongoing battle.

At first I used Valbazen to get rid of tapes. It worked well for a period of time but became ineffective. I then used Zimecterin Gold for a long time and it was bye bye tapeworms.
Along with Z-Gold, I've used Equimax to eliminate tapeworms.

When worming for tapeworms; I go out to the coop early in the morning and snatch an infected bird off the roost and cradle her in my right arm. (I'm left handed.) I then put a blob of the paste on my left finger. With my cradling hand, I use my right finger and thumb to pull down on the wattles and the hens mouth opens. That's when I smear the paste inside the hens mouth with my left finger and I quickly release her wattles so she can swallow the paste on her own. Done.
I recommend that you use a syringe without needle to give her the correct dose using the same procedure above.

Since insects are the host for tapeworms, consider keeping your birds penned up for a period of time and spray your yard or property with Sevin liquid concentrate or Permethrin liquid concentrate.

Back
Top Bottom