Help!

JeNnAs HeNs

Hatching
Nov 24, 2015
I have a hen that is only about 2 months old that seems to have broken 1 of her wings and possibly her leg. She will not walk and is just laying in her coop. I have brought her inside in a separate cage but she is still not standing and refuses to eat. She is laying next to the water and will occasionally stick her head in the water and get a drink. She also seems to have developed a lump on her belly from laying constantly. I'm not sure what to do. I'm giving her a soaking bath daily to try to keep her clean and changing her bedding daily because she is just laying in her waste.

I have a hen that is only about 2 months old that seems to have broken 1 of her wings and possibly her leg. She will not walk and is just laying in her coop. I have brought her inside in a separate cage but she is still not standing and refuses to eat. She is laying next to the water and will occasionally stick her head in the water and get a drink. She also seems to have developed a lump on her belly from laying constantly. I'm not sure what to do. I'm giving her a soaking bath daily to try to keep her clean and changing her bedding daily because she is just laying in her waste.
@JeNnAs HeNs , welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of her?

-Kathy

Last edited:
@JeNnAs HeNs , be very careful when cleaning her with water as it's very easy for them to get chilled and it can chill them enough to kill them. Would be best to have her in a warm room (80-85 degrees) on a towel.

-Kathy

I have been giving her warm soaking baths and wrapping her in a towel in the cage inside. Upon some more inspection today I definitely think something got a hold of her. It's not a lump on her chest it's definitely her breast plate sticking out. She doesn't have any open wounds. Can they heal from this type of injury? I've never had any of my hens injured before.

Something definitely got her. What I thought was a lump on her chest is definitely her breast bone protruding. She is laying to 1 side and will not walk or move at all. Can they come back from this type of injury? I just don't want her to suffer long term. She is still not eating but is drinking.

I have been giving her warm soaking baths and wrapping her in a towel in the cage inside. Upon some more inspection today I definitely think something got a hold of her. It's not a lump on her chest it's definitely her breast plate sticking out. She doesn't have any open wounds. Can they heal from this type of injury? I've never had any of my hens injured before.
How thin is she?

-Kathy

She's really thin. She doesn't have much meat on her at all. When I was soaking her this morning she was squeezing when I picked her up. She has not acted like she's been in pain until today.

The lump on her breast sounds like it might be a breast blister, but can't say for sure without seeing pictures. *Please* stop bathing her. Very skinny means she is close to dying and bathing could kill her.

-Kathy

I just looked up what a breast blister looks like and that is definitely what it looks like. I don't believe she's going to make it the rest of the day. She is breathing very shallow now and not moving around at all. Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it. I'm not quite sure how she got it none of my other hens have ever had this problem. Very strange.

Back
Top Bottom