Help??

xLittleSilkieX

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2015
Today I realized my Rhode Island Red Hen wasn't standing she was just sitting on the coop, She tried getting up to climb down the ladder but she stumbled and didn't get up off the ground. I took her out of the coop and into the house but she won't stand it out any weight on her left foot. She is still eating and drinking but I'm worried.

How old is she, and did she receive any vaccines as a chick? Feel of her toes in the morning, and see if she moves or curls her toes. Stand her up to see if she holds up the leg, or if she can walk on it at all. More than likely she has suffered a leg injury. Occasionally a vitamin deficiency or dehydration can cause lameness. More rarely, something like Mareks disease might be a cause of lameness in one or both legs or wings.

How old is she, and did she receive any vaccines as a chick? Feel of her toes in the morning, and see if she moves or curls her toes. Stand her up to see if she holds up the leg, or if she can walk on it at all. More than likely she has suffered a leg injury. Occasionally a vitamin deficiency or dehydration can cause lameness. More rarely, something like Mareks disease might be a cause of lameness in one or both legs or wings.

She is 1 years old now, I'm not sure if she has had vaccinations as a chick. When I stand her up she is still touching the ground with it but she won't put weight on it at all

She is 1 years old now, I'm not sure if she has had vaccinations as a chick. When I stand her up she is still touching the ground with it but she won't put weight on it at all

If no wounds or blood, by the sounds of it I think eggcessive is right. I would look into what they said and vitamin deficiencies.

Start some poultry vitamins in her water daily. Then force her to rest her leg by keeping her in a crate with food and water, but in site of the other chickens. Check her daily, but after a week, see if she can walk any better, or if she is worse. Sprains and other leg injuries can take several weeks to heal. The more time she spends with the other chickens, the easier to reintegrate her back into the flock. Let us know what happens.

She is still alive today, but she still isn't walking or standing. Neither is she drinking or eating. When I place her on the floor she gets this green dihareah. We have month old chicks in the house and are at lost for what to do.
Iv been looking around and she seems to have similar symptoms to Mareks disease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom