Help!!!

river1rapid

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2016
Missouri
We started a chicken coop. Started with 35 chicks. (In April)learned about the Cornish cross the hard way. (Had 10 one by one 4 died & the remaining 6 got easily 12 to 14 lbs before I gave them up. They took up too much room & caused stress with the rest of the flock.) The 5 barred rock turned out to all be roo's. Gave 1 away & still have 4. The rest RIR hens. Have the nice moveable coop. Lately the hens combs went pail & had bloody stool. So far we have lost 4. 3 as soon as the comb turned pail they were dead in less than a day. The last one from pail to purple and dead.called vet. They don't deal with chickens... so I asked the people at the feed store. (With Corid in hand) they said if I did that I'd kill them. And recommended a tetracycline. So I have been doing the tetra... but it isn't taking care of it.(this is day 5 on the tetra) the chickens still eat fine. But more combs are pail & it looks like everyone but the roo's have the runs. (Not so much blood in the stools but still trace amounts.) Bought corid today. Waiting to see if anyone knows... good idea? Bad idea? How soon after tetracycline? (as I gave it as per directions today)I guess the chickens are now about 5-6 months old. And I clean the coop 4to 5 times a week. (Mainly free range during the day up at night. But have kept them in the coop this last week.) I just as soon treat all instead of guessing 1 chicken at a time.

Last edited:
I think your on the right track with the corid... I have never had the issue your having to manage but @casportpony may have some recommendation, she may be able to guide you on dosage and followup. It sounds pretty dire so probably sooner better than later, very best of luck

I think your on the right track with the corid... I have never had the issue your having to manage but @casportpony may have some recommendation, she may be able to guide you on dosage and followup. It sounds pretty dire so probably sooner better than later, very best of luck

I tried to message.Not sure if it went. Still new here. Thank-you for your response.

Last edited:
Sorry for your troubles... Corid is definitely the way to go if you're seeing bloody poops. I'd stop the antibiotic immediately. That won't do anything for Coccidiosis.

Dose:

1.5 teaspoons of 20% powder per gallon of water

OR

2 teaspoons of 9.6% liquid per gallon.

Treat for 5-7 days, mix fresh at least once daily. Make sure it's the *only* water they can access during treatment. Treat ALL birds.

I avoid asking employees at feed stores about chicken medications. Even some dedicated avian vets won't see chickens or know very little about them (I had a vet tell me she treats chickens with advice from BYC.... sooooo... I could have come here and saved about $70 for all the help she was).

Hope that helps!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Also,
welcome-byc.gif
!!!!

MrsB

We started a chicken coop. Started with 35 chicks. (In April)learned about the Cornish cross the hard way. (Had 10 one by one 4 died & the remaining 6 got easily 12 to 14 lbs before I gave them up. They took up too much room & caused stress with the rest of the flock.) The 5 barred rock turned out to all be roo's. Gave 1 away & still have 4. The rest RIR hens. Have the nice moveable coop. Lately the hens combs went pail & had bloody stool. So far we have lost 4. 3 as soon as the comb turned pail they were dead in less than a day. The last one from pail to purple and dead.called vet. They don't deal with chickens... so I asked the people at the feed store. (With Corid in hand) they said if I did that I'd kill them. And recommended a tetracycline. So I have been doing the tetra... but it isn't taking care of it.(this is day 5 on the tetra) the chickens still eat fine. But more combs are pail & it looks like everyone but the roo's have the runs. (Not so much blood in the stools but still trace amounts.) Bought corid today. Waiting to see if anyone knows... good idea? Bad idea? How soon after tetracycline? (as I gave it as per directions today)I guess the chickens are now about 5-6 months old. And I clean the coop 4to 5 times a week. (Mainly free range during the day up at night. But have kept them in the coop this last week.) I just as soon treat all instead of guessing 1 chicken at a time.

Welcome to BYC! Corid is a good place to start. Are they drinking enough?

-Kathy

I think so. Fresh water daily & it gets ransacked by all. Before this I kept 5 gallons out. (Dumped and cleaned daily.) Now the flock goes through approximately 2.5 to 3 gallons of water a day.

Last edited:
When they got sick I changed out the water-er and moved the coop. (I guessed that they'd go through 2.5 gallons of water a day since even during the hottest part of summer the 5 gallon water-er was usually about half gone in 24 hours sometimes a little more. And that is exactly what they do, Even though the weather is turning cold preparing for winter.. )
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom