HELP!!!

My silkie roo was attacked yesterday by my Cochin roo & is only becoming worse.

It appeared yesterday that it was his ear but his eyes were closed and he was super tired. I cleaned him up best I could and brought him inside.

Today it seems as though his mouth is swelling shut with a goo & his eyes are still shut but leaking the same goo.

I’m so so scared that he has some type of brain damage or something and just scared he is hurt too bad to survive. Please help.
What state/ part of the country/ world are you located ?

What kind of climate?

I live in Indianapolis Indiana & it’s around 30-50 degrees right now.

I cleaned all of the dried up slime out of his mouth yesterday and we are back to square one this morning with his mouth full of dry slime.

He can walk, but Is so tired that he does not do much of anything. Yesterday I tried to get him to drink some water.

Both eyes are still closed. One is swollen & leaking the same slime that is in his mouth & the other is just closed.

If you cannot get him to drink, you probably should take him to a vet today. If you cannot, you will need to tube feed him. Get some aquarium air tubing at WalMart pet fish aisle, and cut a 12 inch section, and melt one end to soften it. Get a couple of 35 ml syringes, and those can be used to tube feed. The pictures below show where to insert the tube in the right back of the throat avoiding the trachea (airway) or hole at the base of the tongue. This tube can be used to feed thin feed, water, thin raw egg and yogurt. Many use KayTee baby bird feed or liquified chicken feed. Here are some articles about tubing a chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-go-team-tube-feeding.805728/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

upload_2019-3-20_9-9-59.jpeg
upload_2019-3-20_9-10-29.jpeg

If you tube feed, give fluids first—water plus Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes—30 ml to start out. You may need another pair of hands to tube him, and if he tolerates the feeding, try more in a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom