Help!

Karhog

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Hi, I'm new to this forum and need help.....

I am looking for advice and ideas please.
I have 3 chooks from a BHWT rescue last Easter. Bertha has been off colour for a week or two now. Started off hunched and slower than usual, also no interest in treats (highly unusual for her)
She had sour crop in Oct and I noted her crop did indeed feel a bit squishy (though not as bad as in Oct) so I massaged and tipped over the next few days. Some yellow stuff came out but now nothing (though the crop still feels a bit squishy)
Main problem though is she has lost all interest in food and is poohing white liquiid mucousy poos (one or two which have had a bit of blood in)- I am trying to coax her with anything at all - she does sometimes eat the maggots (i am aware these will help a crop problem) Some of these are passing through her whole and undigested.
I thought then maybe a blockage? Can't feel any hardness or lumps at all.
Took her to the vet on Sat and he had limited knowledge on chooks. He said she is very underweight (not surprising) and that her temp was off the scale. He was very pessimistic suggesting it could be EYP (I didn't think so- though I am obviously no expert)
As I wanted to give her a fighting chance I requested A/B and she had an injection and is on a ten day course.
Her temp is down ( I can tell as she is no wher near as thirsty as she was)- she seems to be bright and alert but clearly is not eating enough- I can't get her interested in pellets or the mash mix I make. So she has had whatever she will eat. This has ranged from scrambled egg, maggots,fruit, cooked veg peelings etc - all in small quantities though.
She is still doing runny poohs AND NOW.... my other two chooks seem to be going the same way.
Both the other girls have started poohing liquidy milky poos and although they are both still interseted in food and treat at the moment I can tell they are slower and losing the interest- (normally they come running for the treat tin and only Mabel seems bothered)
I called the vet again yesterday and today have picked up more A/B (Baytril) to treat all three of them.
However, doing research online- I reckon their symptoms could be Cocci ?? I have ordered some Coxoid online as well as the disinfectant and cleaning products. I asked the vet if ok to treat at same time as A/B and they said yes
What is your opinion on all this- sorry for the waffle but just trying to give as much info as possible.
Any help, advice and knowledge would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Quick update. All chooks still with us and things seem to be looking up!
Bertha is on day 9 of Baytrill and the other two are on day 5. I also started them on a 7-14 day course of Coxoid in their water on Thursday and today have scrubbed and disinfected their house and put Stalosan on run floor and bedding
Peggy and Mabel have really perked up and their poohs now seem back to normal and they are back to their cheeky selves.
Bertha has improved no end- still not 100% though - she is still slower than the other two and seems to take a while to 'get going' in the morning.
She is eating much better now though still not that interested in proper food- I am having to make up mash and in the afternoon I will give her boiled potatoes, egg, tomatoes and yoghurt. Which she (and the others) seem to love. She will sometimes eat the maggots on offer but still dosen't seem that bothered by 'treats'--though she has had maggots today!
She is doing all the usual chickeny things- scratching round the garden, dust bathing and grooming. Her poohs have improved but are still runny (nowhere near as bad though)
Don't think we are completely out of the woods yet but fingers are crossed.

Mites, lice or worms can make them skinny. Just a few months ago mine were eating gobs, I powdered them for lice, now they eat 1/3 less than they were!

I don't know about maggots. But all I can think is yuk. I think that if they are getting wholesome food like it sounds like they are, it should be okay for now.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need help.....

I am looking for advice and ideas please.
I have 3 chooks from a BHWT rescue last Easter. Bertha has been off colour for a week or two now. Started off hunched and slower than usual, also no interest in treats (highly unusual for her)
She had sour crop in Oct and I noted her crop did indeed feel a bit squishy (though not as bad as in Oct) so I massaged and tipped over the next few days. Some yellow stuff came out but now nothing (though the crop still feels a bit squishy)
Main problem though is she has lost all interest in food and is poohing white liquiid mucousy poos (one or two which have had a bit of blood in)- I am trying to coax her with anything at all - she does sometimes eat the maggots (i am aware these will help a crop problem) Some of these are passing through her whole and undigested.
I thought then maybe a blockage? Can't feel any hardness or lumps at all.
Took her to the vet on Sat and he had limited knowledge on chooks. He said she is very underweight (not surprising) and that her temp was off the scale. He was very pessimistic suggesting it could be EYP (I didn't think so- though I am obviously no expert)
As I wanted to give her a fighting chance I requested A/B and she had an injection and is on a ten day course.
Her temp is down ( I can tell as she is no wher near as thirsty as she was)- she seems to be bright and alert but clearly is not eating enough- I can't get her interested in pellets or the mash mix I make. So she has had whatever she will eat. This has ranged from scrambled egg, maggots,fruit, cooked veg peelings etc - all in small quantities though.
She is still doing runny poohs AND NOW.... my other two chooks seem to be going the same way.
Both the other girls have started poohing liquidy milky poos and although they are both still interseted in food and treat at the moment I can tell they are slower and losing the interest- (normally they come running for the treat tin and only Mabel seems bothered)
I called the vet again yesterday and today have picked up more A/B (Baytril) to treat all three of them.
However, doing research online- I reckon their symptoms could be Cocci ?? I have ordered some Coxoid online as well as the disinfectant and cleaning products. I asked the vet if ok to treat at same time as A/B and they said yes
What is your opinion on all this- sorry for the waffle but just trying to give as much info as possible.
Any help, advice and knowledge would be much appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/Chicken_a/chicken-crop/sour-crop-chicken.php Maybe this will help with the sour crop!! Good luck!! :)

Thanks
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom