help

lakelyzard

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
I am new to chickens and I have I think winterized as much as I can according to all the great help I have received from this site however I need to know what to do when it is very cold snowing with wind. Should they be allowed out into the main pen or should I leave them closed in there 4 x 4 x4 coop. I have a secures area that I keep for the run during the day when I am at work but when I get home I let them out in a huge pen area covered with bales of straw. I heard they do not like snow so I planned on throwing straw out on top of snow to help. I could really use some advise.

I leave the decision up to them - the door is open during the day and if they want to go out they do. Often our perception of what is too cold, etc for them is quite different from their own.

We let our chickens out of there coop in the winter but of course they don't come out unless they see ground or something. We shovel a path for them to walk under there coop where its dry. But most of the time they stay in the coop. Hope you figure out what to do!

I also leave the gate open. I try to make few paths to let them move around a bit. We have a small trailer parked next to the coop that I throw a few flakes of straw under and man does it go flying haha

The only thing I'd like to add is keep an eye out on those windy, snowy days. Sometimes the snow drifts too high for them to get back through and we have to have mini chicken rescues :)

Hi there! Most chickens are fairly resistant to cold weather, so while your winterizing will be much appreciated, you really don't have to worry too much. If you need a checklist, try this link: Winter Checklist.

I live in a very hot part of the world, so this is from what I have read on this site, not from experience. You are right that chickens don't really like to walk on snow, however, cold wind doesn't really bother them since they have all those warm feathers!

I was just afraid when I would open the main door to the coop it would let any warmth they had out. The run has its own door and the main pen has its own door. I so appreciate the advise

I was just afraid when I would open the main door to the coop it would let any warmth they had out. The run has its own door and the main pen has its own door. I so appreciate the advise

Just so we are absolutely clear (because I'd hate to answer based on a misunderstanding), you are asking about leaving the pop/chicken door open between the coop and run, correct?

I have 5 silver laced wyndottes. The coop has a fenced run with a small door on one end of the coop allowing them to the run and one door on the side of the coop that lets them out into the huge fenced in area. The run is small and is covered. I have them corralled in the run during the day and when I get home I open the side door for them to go out in the huge pen. The coop is shaped like a barn

Back
Top Bottom