Helped a chick (keet) hatch. What to expect afterwards?

Poultrylady2022

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Hi everyone, I helped a chick (actually a Guinea keet) hatch last night. He was not zipping correctly and when I decided to intervene, his head was “glued” to his body and his wing was “glued” to his head. Obviously, he was stuck. I basically left him alone overnight, and this morning he was fairly active, but he was still covered in membrane and he didn’t fluff up like he should. I used a warm wet wash cloth to get the dried membrane off and noticed that his toes were curled so I’ve straightened his toes out as well. Through out the day he seems real tired. He will get up and try to walk around on occasion (he struggles since I’ve got his toes straightened), but a lot of times he’ll fall asleep standing up. Is this normal? I’ve only helped one other chick hatch and it didn’t survive. I don’t want to lose the poor little guy but I couldn’t let him die in his shell either. Should I just go ahead and expect the worst? Is there something I can do to possibly help him?Thanks for reading!

In general, if there wasn't any blood and the yolk sac was completely absorbed, your assistance wouldn't cause any issues.

The fact that you had to assist is more telling. Admittedly, I haven't assisted much. It wasnt until a read a BYC article by @Pyxis that changed my view. Prior to, I was completely opposed.

But, in general, assisted chicks are more likely to be weaker or more prone to unknown deaths.

On top of all of this, we have hatched and brooded A LOT of Pearl Guinea Keets and they are really hard to keep a live. You will want to avoid medicated food entirely, and any of the nutrient supplement packets.

One cup warm water
1 t salt
2 t sugar

This is what we give them in the first 72 hours and after doing this, our survival rate has skyrocketed.

Last but not least, make sure to pad the walls of your brooder with a towel. They are so flighty, combined with not having a sliver of intellegence and will routinely run into the sides of the brooder and kill themselves.

In general, if there wasn't any blood and the yolk sac was completely absorbed, your assistance wouldn't cause any issues.

The fact that you had to assist is more telling. Admittedly, I haven't assisted much. It wasnt until a read a BYC article by @Pyxis that changed my view. Prior to, I was completely opposed.

But, in general, assisted chicks are more likely to be weaker or more prone to unknown deaths.

On top of all of this, we have hatched and brooded A LOT of Pearl Guinea Keets and they are really hard to keep a live. You will want to avoid medicated food entirely, and any of the nutrient supplement packets.

One cup warm water
1 t salt
2 t sugar

This is what we give them in the first 72 hours and after doing this, our survival rate has skyrocketed.

Last but not least, make sure to pad the walls of your brooder with a towel. They are so flighty, combined with not having a sliver of intellegence and will routinely run into the sides of the brooder and kill themselves.
No, there was zero blood. He was just stuck!

I have heard that assisted chicks are weaker, that’s what has me concerned with the way he seems to have declined throughout the day. Every time I open the incubator though he does get up and he chirps more than any chick I’ve ever hatched! But only when I’m messing with him. Most of the time he’s quiet.

Before I saw your post in a last ditch effort I mixed a tiny amount of hydro hen in some water and gave it to him through a syringe. I didn’t force it down his throat he willingly drank and he drank quite a bit and it has perked him up. I did show him how to drink earlier today, I guess he didn’t get the memo….

Anyway I will switch to what you suggested and keep giving it to him from a syringe if I have to. I just really want to do everything I can to keep him alive.

Thanks for your response!!

No, there was zero blood. He was just stuck!

I have heard that assisted chicks are weaker, that’s what has me concerned with the way he seems to have declined throughout the day. Every time I open the incubator though he does get up and he chirps more than any chick I’ve ever hatched! But only when I’m messing with him. Most of the time he’s quiet.

Before I saw your post in a last ditch effort I mixed a tiny amount of hydro hen in some water and gave it to him through a syringe. I didn’t force it down his throat he willingly drank and he drank quite a bit and it has perked him up. I did show him how to drink earlier today, I guess he didn’t get the memo….

Anyway I will switch to what you suggested and keep giving it to him from a syringe if I have to. I just really want to do everything I can to keep him alive.

Thanks for your response!!
That is great news, and potentially you could continue with the hydro without issue. But in general they are just super duper sensitive. Giving them what they need, as minimally as possible has allowed us to keep them alive.

I'll make sure to check in here about about 3 months and see if you are still happy he lived 😂😉 guineas are absolutely incredible in their utility, but couldn't get any worse in their existence. I love them because of what they do for the pests and weeds, but hate their vocals and just overall stupidity. Gosh they drive me nuts sometimes!

That is great news, and potentially you could continue with the hydro without issue. But in general they are just super duper sensitive. Giving them what they need, as minimally as possible has allowed us to keep them alive.

I'll make sure to check in here about about 3 months and see if you are still happy he lived 😂😉 guineas are absolutely incredible in their utility, but couldn't get any worse in their existence. I love them because of what they do for the pests and weeds, but hate their vocals and just overall stupidity. Gosh they drive me nuts sometimes!
😂😂😂

I have young peafowl too and one of them is SUPER vocal so I’m kind of used to the noise, I’m just not so sure about the stupidity!!

As I’m typing this I look in on him and he’s asleep standing up with his beak in his food…oh my what have I done???

😂😂😂

I have young peafowl too and one of them is SUPER vocal so I’m kind of used to the noise, I’m just not so sure about the stupidity!!

As I’m typing this I look in on him and he’s asleep standing up with his beak in his food…oh my what have I done???
Sounds like a healthy keet to me, hahaha!

I better go make sure that none of my hens are nesting near a highway or a raccoons den 😂🤣😂🤣

Sounds like a healthy keet to me, hahaha!

I better go make sure that none of my hens are nesting near a highway or a raccoons den 😂🤣😂🤣
I hope your hens survived the night!! 😂😂

Just an update: he survived the night, he’s now about 30ish hours old. He does seem to have a little more energy today, although I have caught him sleeping standing up again. But since talking to you I’ve learned that’s very normal!!

How long is the “danger” zone for them? You originally said if you gave them the mixed water after 3 days you had a much higher success rate. So if he survives 3 days are the chances of him surviving great? Or is it just keep your fingers crossed for the first 8 weeks? 😂😂

I have more hope in him since he was still alive this morning, but I don’t want to get too hopeful in case we’re still not out of the woods yet!

I hope your hens survived the night!! 😂😂

Just an update: he survived the night, he’s now about 30ish hours old. He does seem to have a little more energy today, although I have caught him sleeping standing up again. But since talking to you I’ve learned that’s very normal!!

How long is the “danger” zone for them? You originally said if you gave them the mixed water after 3 days you had a much higher success rate. So if he survives 3 days are the chances of him surviving great? Or is it just keep your fingers crossed for the first 8 weeks? 😂😂

I have more hope in him since he was still alive this morning, but I don’t want to get too hopeful in case we’re still not out of the woods yet!
PS: here’s a picture I just took of him. It’s too cute not to sure! He’s by himself because he’s had such a rough start so I gave him the bear for company!! 😂😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpeg
    IMG_0150.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 5
I gave him the bear for company!!
This is something we started doing as well for chicks and keets. They really seem to like laying with it.

From our experience, if he if he makes it through the first 72 hours, his chances increase dramatically.

It isn't going to hurt to offer the sugar mixture a little longer, but you'll want to offer plain water alongside it.

This is something we started doing as well for chicks and keets. They really seem to like laying with it.

From our experience, if he if he makes it through the first 72 hours, his chances increase dramatically.

It isn't going to hurt to offer the sugar mixture a little longer, but you'll want to offer plain water alongside it.
Another update: he’s not doing good. I found him on his back kicking his legs and when I tried to turn him over her would go right back on his back. I took him out of the incubator and he was opening and closing his beak but no sounds are coming out. I gave him some water with a syringe and now I’m just holding him. He has calmed down but I’m not sure he’s going to make it. It makes me so sad but I know it’s part of having farm animals. Still not giving up just yet but things are definitely looking bleaker.

Back
Top Bottom