Helping a Chick Out of the Shell?

That makes sense to me about the Neosporin. Maybe I will walk to the store, even if it is midnight!

It doesn't "Grease" the membrane, well I suppose it does but that isn't the purpose here. When the membrane dries it toughens and then the chick can't rip through it to zip open the shell which causes the chick to get stuck and die, the Neosporin will let the membrane retain moisture keeping it from toughening to that point.

I am not sure if it would or not, I have not heard of it being used. If you cannot get anything else I would try it just use it in a small amount and only on the edges of the membrane

Oh, drats! I called both the grocery store and Neighborhood Walmarts nearby. Both close at midnight, and it is straight up. I thought they were open all night. To get Neosporin I'll have to go to a SuperCenter Walmart, and the nearest one is way too far to walk to. I know hubby won't take me that far... Time to start warming up the car for half an hour. I hope it is not out of gas, but I think it is.

You could double or triple up some cloth towels or wash cloths and wet them with warm water and set your egg in them as well, they would stay wet longer than paper towel. I don't know that I would make a long trip for the Neosporin at this hour, I would either skip it and go with just wet towels or try something else like the Vaseline or maybe an aloe or something as long is it doesn't have a bunch of chemicals in it.

I have baby chick in final stages of hatching mama abandoned and father tried to smash egg, but it still looks unhealthy but is talking up a storm

Back
Top Bottom