Helping an overheated chicken get comfortable

SusanD

Chirping
Feb 20, 2015
Willamette Valley, Oregon
I noticed the past couple of days, that my RIR who seems fine during the day (we have a mister on and have been giving them watermelon) is acting uncomfortable when she goes to roost (sticking her wings out like she's hot and standing instead of laying down). The temperature both nights was somewhere around 78-82 and dropping slowly). I did just have them vetted/fecal tested so that should pick up any parasites. I did put a cold pack in with them tonight. Assuming that it is heat related, what might be some other strategies to get her comfortable and ready to sleep?

A tip on hot chickens in the middle of the day get a spray bottle or light mister, put the coldest water you can get in it, grab a bird, lift the feathers so you can see the skin, spray, go to different spot on the bird, spray, release catch the next bird, repeat. This method saved the life of my birds several times including my Turkeys. I also srpay when I see that it is needed.
At one piont in the past when it has been hot out we attached a fan inside the coop and turned it on at night so they had air circulating.

Back
Top Bottom