Helping with feather sexing my bantams? Light Brahmas, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Silver Laced Polish

kferrin53

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
Nampa, ID
Hi there!

Brand new chicken tender here. I got some bantams about 3 weeks ago: 2 light brahmas, 1 blue laced red wyandottes (I had two but one died D: ), and 1 silver laced polish. I'm pretty sure my wyandotte is a roo and my polish is a hen. My polish is a week younger than the other 3 and was basically born with wing feathers and has grown way faster than the others. Having read through a bunch of these forums and trying to figure out wing-sexing them, I'm really not sure on the brahmas. I feel like one is a hen and the other could possibly be a roo so I'm hoping y'all can shed some light on figuring out what these cuties are!

These are the two in question. Niki (right) is smaller overall from his/her's sibling (Swish) and its feathers are pretty sparse. I have a feeling Niki is going to be a roo since its not growing feathers as fast, but so far no spur nub is forming like the wyandotte (Fluff Butt II). From what I was reading, hens have the saw-tooth feather pattern and roosters are more straight. When Swish's feathers are expanded they're pretty straight, so it's hard to tell.
niki and swish.jpg

IMG_20180408_205402.jpg IMG_20180408_205342.jpg IMG_20180408_184337.jpg

And then here's Longneck (Polish) and Fluff Butt II for what I've been comparing to. Longneck is a full week younger but shes grown considerably fast. I also don't know if that just has to do with breed.
Long neck.jpg IMG_20180408_184322.jpg

All together profile view
IMG_20180408_205523 (1).jpg

Thanks for the help!

Feather sexing is only accurate if both the parents have the exact genes for it and you only know if the parents had those genes if you watched how they feathered as chicks.
I have found that often the way chicks feather has nothing to do with the sex, sometimes the females feather slower or faster than normal and same with the males.
I do agree that your blue laced red looks like a male but I'm basing that off the comb.
The most accurate ways of sexing is to base it off the comb and wattles at 8 weeks of age, and vent sexing but neither is 100% accurate
:)

Feather sexing is only accurate if both the parents have the exact genes for it and you only know if the parents had those genes if you watched how they feathered as chicks.
I have found that often the way chicks feather has nothing to do with the sex, sometimes the females feather slower or faster than normal and same with the males.
I do agree that your blue laced red looks like a male but I'm basing that off the comb.
The most accurate ways of sexing is to base it off the comb and wattles at 8 weeks of age, and vent sexing but neither is 100% accurate
:)

That's good information, thanks!
Where did you see it's comb? As far as I can tell it's hasn't grown yet on the blue laced red.

That's good information, thanks!
Where did you see it's comb? As far as I can tell it's hasn't grown yet on the blue laced red.
I see the comb in the last picture of all 4, his comb is slightly yellow I think. I breed Wyandottes and so far all the yellowed comb ones have turned out male (and some without yellow combs have turned out male too but I haven't had any females that age with yellow combs before). Also its posture seems very straight which can be a rooster sign too. It's still very young though so I won't say for certain

Your blue laced red looks very similar to this chick, it's the first chick I ever hatched (I incubated and hatched him in an electric frying pan lol!)
He's now my special breeding rooster, and such a sweetheart.
You can also see the comb between his eyes is yellow

View attachment 1331035

Awww look at that face! I went and took a close up of my guy and what I think is his little spur nub
IMG_20180408_225952.jpg
IMG_20180408_225538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom