Hen a foamy eye!

Barnmaradotte

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2011
eugene
So, my new hen has a foamy eye. Not both eyes just the one. I noticed a little the other day but today it is worse. No other symptoms that i can tell. She has been in quarantine since i got her. She eats just fine drink fine. poop looks normal. Maybe a tad green but normal consistency and shape. Any idea's?

Just out of curiosity, what breed is she?
As for the foamy eye, maybe an infection of some sort? I would suggest probiotics, which is yoghurt - no, not the kind from Walmart, the real kind that was fermented for 24 hours.

I have had a hen with a foamy eye and one had an eye worm. Her eye eventually swoll up quite a bit. I talk to a chicken vet and they suggested that I use Piperzine (wormer that I had) and use it for a few days and again in a week for a few days. It worked.

Recently I had a bird that had an eye infection and I put eye drops in that I got from the Internet. The eye infection returned a few times until the eye drops did not work. I recently got bees and after talking to other bee keepers I put honey right in her eye. teicr a day until it was better, about a week.Sounds so wrong but I trusted them. She was eager to eat but had some trouble seeing as her eye got swollen as well.
She is back to normal now. After talking to other bee keepers I found out that they use honey for lots of things. It is an amazing antibiotic. I used honey straight from the hive, not the pasturized stuff you find in the store.

I am waiting to find out too..I have a Welsummer hen that has had foamy eye too for a long time though. I thought it was from CRD but treated for that and no luck. I have heard that terramycin..I think it's called..an antibiotic for the eyes anyhow..will work. It can be ordered online from vet supply or feed store. Maybe it's not terramycin..but a little research should find the right one. But I can tell you it's not contagious, my girl has been running with the flock and no one else has caught it. She has no other symptoms but I am going to order the drops and try those.

One of my Columbian bantams came down with it.
th.gif

I don't want to put her on antibiotics...I've done that before, no such luck. I gave her yoghurt and stuff. The bubbles went down a little bit, but now her eye is watery. Oh well.

@ Barnmaradotte - I've heard that Tylan works well, or Baytril.

VetRX has directions on the insert (in with the bottle) for use for / in treatment of eye worm? Just a thought, don't know much on this.

You local feed store should have both the ophthalmic eye antibiotic ointment (tiny tube - about $16.)... and / or the VetRX as well, which is pretty inexpensive. (Or, either or both are available on jefferslivestock.com).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom