Hen a foamy eye!

I have one too with foamy eye. It comes and goes. No others have it. Yes she was new to the coop. I noticed today that side of her head was muddy -almost as if she was sticking her head in the mud -just that eye. Now, looking closer there is a huge hump in between the eye and the beak. Help!

I have two with the same problem. Bumps on the face on one with with a foamy eye. And my other just has a bump on the face. Not sure what to do

@lloges0127 : A bump between the eye and the beak can be several things.

1) Sinus infection/Conjunctivitis

2) Tumor

3) MG or Coryza

4) Injury from pecking or scratching

5) Something else I can't recall at the moment

Is she sneezing, wheezing, lethargic, or have discharge from their nostrils? Are any of your other birds exhibiting any symptoms?

How are her poops? Is she eating and drinking normally? How does her other eye look?

I would separate that chicken *immediately* from the rest of the flock for observation. Where did this chicken come from? Did you raise her from a chick? Was she a started bird from somewhere else? How long have you had her?

@Cheep Chicks :

Welcome to BYC! :)

When you say "bumps on the face," do you mean little black bumps on comb/face/wattles or a large mass between the eye and the beak?

MrsB

Last edited:
@lloges0127
: A bump between the eye and the beak can be several things.

1) Sinus infection/Conjunctivitis

2) Tumor

3) MG or Coryza

4) Injury from pecking or scratching

5) Something else I can't recall at the moment

Is she sneezing, wheezing, lethargic, or have discharge from their nostrils? Are any of your other birds exhibiting any symptoms?

How are her poops? Is she eating and drinking normally? How does her other eye look?

I would separate that chicken *immediately* from the rest of the flock for observation. Where did this chicken come from? Did you raise her from a chick? Was she a started bird from somewhere else? How long have you had her?

@Cheep Chicks
:

Welcome to BYC! :)

When you say "bumps on the face," do you mean little black bumps on comb/face/wattles or a large mass between the eye and the beak?

MrsB

Got her from someone else, who, unfortunately didn't keep clean flocks. No other symptoms. Sometimes it isn't even there. She has this lump now -attaching picture. No other symptoms -poop-not sure will have to watch. Eats moves and acts fine. The lump is *not* soft and it is hard. I will seperate her into a large crate in our shed tonight. No other hens have any symptoms

I notice her mouth is open in this picture... Is she struggling to breath? Wheezing? Any respiratory distress that you can hear? If you put your ear to her back between her shoulders, you can listen to her lungs.

Did you mention if her head has an odor?

I would separate this bird YESTERDAY. If she's got mycoplasma or Coryza, both are HIGHLY contagious and can spread to the rest of your flock. If she survives the disease, she will be a carrier for life, and you will have some decisions to make regarding flock management. If it's Infectious Bronchitis, she will recover, be a carrier for a year, then it will "go away." It may run through your flock, but it's similar to a cold going around. A dim, quiet, warm spot in a dog crate in your garage or bathroom would work well.

The mud around her eye tells me she is messing with it... Probably by scratching with her foot. Poor girl. :(

Eye worms can also cause something similar to this, as can a sinus infection.

Would it be possible for you to take this bird to a vet for a blood test and diagnosis? That way, we will know what to do moving forward. It's difficult to treat something when you aren't sure what you're treating for.

MrsB

Edit to add: I see a little white spot in the corner of her eye where the swelling seems to start... If that is puss, can you gently apply pressure and get anything out of there? I imagine that would provide some relief for her, even if she squirms while you attempt. (WEAR GLOVES!!!!)

Last edited:
I have a hen with the same issue... foamy eye, but is eating and drinking normally. No nasal discharge, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Did you ever find a solution to this? Did the bird get better with treatment?

Did either of you find an answer? Did you find a treatment that worked? I have a hen that is experiencing the same thing.. She has a foamy eye, has been shaking her head and scratching it. Breathing is normal, no discharge nasally, no coughing, sneezing, etc. She has had it for about three weeks and none of the other hens have caught it. Eating and drinking normally. Not laying eggs- of course- but otherwise seems socially normal. I've tried a million things and nothing seems to be working :/

I have a hen with the same issue... foamy eye, but is eating and drinking normally. No nasal discharge, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, etc. Did you ever find a solution to this? Did the bird get better with treatment?
Quote:
Welcome to BYC.

Can you post some photos of the chicken and they eyes?
What treatment(s) have you tried?
How old is she - you mention that she is not laying eggs "Of Course" - is this because of her age or because of the foamy eye?

Foamy eye can be an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG). A scratch, injury, dust/debris or bacteria getting into the eye can also cause eye discharge and swelling (though not always bubbles/foamy).

Try to rinse the eye with saline and clean out any pus/debris. Apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment to the eye to see if that helps.

Offer her some extra vitamins in her water and protein like egg, fish or meat.

I ended up using human gentamicin eye drops. Once a day for about 5 days. I can't say I saw anything drastic all at once but all of a sudden it was gone one day and never came back.

Back
Top Bottom