Hen acting lethargic, not very interested in food

nekomi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Ohio
Tonight, I noticed one of my 7 month old Ameracauna hens acting unusual. This was my 2nd checkup of the day (I look over my birds carefully in the morning and evening), and this morning everything seemed fine.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Ameracauna hen, recently began laying, roughly 7 months old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She seems lethargic, walking slowly with her head held close to her body. She showed no interest in corn, grass, or any other food even while all the other birds were busily pecking around her. She did drink water when I offered it to her.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No. I picked her up and checked her over thoroughly and saw nothing unusual.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
This morning she seemed happy to go out and range with the rest of the flock, so I'm assuming she ate this morning and afternoon. My flock gets a layer mix, cracked corn, oystershell, and free-range of my 3 acres.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No idea, I have only just isolated her so I don't have a stool sample yet.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing other than isolating her from the flock to rest.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would prefer home treatment.

9) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
My hens share a coop with shavings for bedding, straw in their nest boxes. They have a small run but spend the majority of their time free-ranging.

Thanks for any help, I'm worried about my hen.
sad.png

Now that she's inside, I'm also noticing a bit of a noisy breathing... like a soft "whuff whuff" sound, not all the time, just noticed that sound before she clucked a little.

OK, she had a bowel movement, it's very runny, mostly clear with a little white, and some runny brown poo. Was that graphic enough for everyone?
wink.png

Thanks for the good questions, it's actually very helpful. I'm a chicken newbie (she is one of my first hens, raised from day-olds this year).

It was actually cool outside today, high 60's, low 70's.

She's perked up just a tad, making some quiet clucks that she wasn't before. But, it's getting to be her bedtime, so she's starting to fall asleep.

She could be egg-bound; she just started laying about 2 weeks ago, and generally lays every other day. She didn't lay this morning, and I'm not sure if she laid the day before or not (I found an egg, but it was in an odd location, so I might've missed it the day it was laid). I don't know what to check on her abdomen to determine if she needs to lay an egg.

I felt her crop but again, I'm not totally sure what's normal. The crop was very easy to find, it felt bulged out and very soft, really full...

Basic newbie also.

I have read that if it is sour crop, that you should be able to smell a "sour" (of course) smell if you sniff/smell around her mouth/nares. But I do not know - if you have caught this early - if there would be a smell.

There are lots of threads on sour crop on here - just type it in the search bar in the upper left area.

Cause I am new, I hate to recommend treatment without knowing for sure. Might be best to let her rest inside for the night and see if in the AM her crop has gone down.

Back
Top Bottom