Hen ate a dime and many rocks, need advice.

Yup, I know ... maybe she's trying to figure out how she got two nickels from the dime? ;)

On a more serious note ... I'm not sure if those are nails or not, my first impression was "sticks" ... what we don't know is how long those stick have been there before the xray ... one hour, one day, one week? After a couple of hours ... if the gizzard is working properly ... I doubt that "sticks" would still be visible ...

I literally can't sleep I was thinking for this poor birdie so I take a look again of the X-ray pic on .My desktop
I notice her crop is full as well as her intestines too by zooming the pic I see that her vent area also blocked that's why she unable to poop as the pressure from above is alot ..

Vent blocking can be fatal
Is she's pooping?

I think u should take the decision faster as once the vent block and bird stop pooping it will increase the blood uria & let the system get shut faster then anything

You need to empty the crop by Surgery so I think your vet do this thing once the crop empty maybe she will poop the rest

The rocks seem to be quite small. I would separate her from the flock and the rocks
And keep her out of the egg money jar too!
Seriously, though I hope she passes the coin and rocks without any problems. I had a dog swallow a fish hook once and it was scary.
Best of luck to your chicken.
Be sure to post the x-ray pic on the chicken shaming thread!

I literally can't sleep I was thinking for this poor birdie so I take a look again of the X-ray pic on .My desktop
I notice her crop is full as well as her intestines too by zooming the pic I see that her vent area also blocked that's why she unable to poop as the pressure from above is alot ..

Vent blocking can be fatal
Is she's pooping?

I think u should take the decision faster as once the vent block and bird stop pooping it will increase the blood uria & let the system get shut faster then anything

You need to empty the crop by Surgery so I think your vet do this thing once the crop empty maybe she will poop the rest
Did you also notice that the date of the xray is 3/15/18

Odd, but if you look at the bottom-right corner of the computer, it shows 12/31/2018 as the current date at the time the picture was taken. Not sure what the other number means!
Yeah I saw that too.....but odd that the xray itself is so old. Hopefully that dime has passed since last March :gig

It may just be that the X-ray equipment is not set up with the correct dateline.... maybe due to a power outage at some point, that no-one thought to correct/update.

Looking at the picture again, it looks to me like the bird may also be suffering from salpingitis. The oviduct looks lumpy and impacted and there are quite a few yolks backed up in the ovary that look very large and ripe as others have mentioned. It would be interesting to know if the bird has abdominal swelling around and below the vent. Sadly I do not think the prognosis for this bird is good.

Back
Top Bottom