Hen attacked chick, vent damaged. Will she pull through?

Chickendaddy92

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
I moved my chicks (5-6wk)to the coop with the big chickens, yesterday my wife came home and saw that one of our chicks had been attacked by a hen. She pecked her comb bloody, and on her wing a bit but the most concerning part is her vent. It appears to be damaged, but seems that everything is where it’s supposed to be. I have the chicks back inside now and put some neosporin on her wounds. She made it through the night, although she is puffed up. She’s lethargic and just sleeping but alive. I haven’t seen her eat or drink. Should I cull her to end her pain or try to nurse her back to health?

Sorry about your pullet. This is always a possibility when integrating younger chickens into an established flock. Give the chick some time. Try a boost like Poultry NutriDrench and give a few drops orally for a day or two, and try to get it drinking. Watery chick feed may also be offered, a little chopped egg, and dry crumbles as well. Hopefully, the chick will survive. Clean wounds and put a bit of plain antibiotic ointment on the wounds.

It is best to introduce chicks when they are similar in size, and behind some fencing or netting. A large dog crate with food and water may be used inside the coop. There will always be some pecking at first, but when it is done slowly, where they can see each other for awhile, and there are places to escape, it will go more smoothly.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos?

Chickens can recover from many things.
The lethargy is concerning, she may be experiencing shock. I would keep her warm, offer some sugar water or electrolytes. Give her drops if she's not willing to drink, she need to be hydrated.

Is she able to poop?
I have a photo but you can’t see anything. When I get home I can take a video. I have not seen her poop. I don’t know if that’s because she physically can’t, or if the hen had been bullying her out of food. I will give her sugar water and see if she improves.

Sorry about your pullet. This is always a possibility when integrating younger chickens into an established flock. Give the chick some time. Try a boost like Poultry NutriDrench and give a few drops orally for a day or two, and try to get it drinking. Watery chick feed may also be offered, a little chopped egg, and dry crumbles as well. Hopefully, the chick will survive. Clean wounds and put a bit of plain antibiotic ointment on the wounds.

It is best to introduce chicks when they are similar in size, and behind some fencing or netting. A large dog crate with food and water may be used inside the coop. There will always be some pecking at first, but when it is done slowly, where they can see each other for awhile, and there are places to escape, it will go more smoothly.
At what point should I consider culling her? Or should I just give her a few days and see if she survives?

I would give her some time as long as you have time to care for her. Offer food and water often, watch her droppings, keeping the vent cleaned with warm soapy water and apply a dab of plain antibiotic ointment to it. Chicks can heal very quickly, if she did not suffer internal injuries. If she can be inna dog or cat crate to be near her friends, that can help.

Back
Top Bottom