Hen attacked. Skin on back of neck is gone.

RubelliteRose

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
SE Virginia
We just noticed that one of our hens was attacked. We aren't sure when or by what. Two days ago, I hand carried her back to the run in the evening and think I would have noticed the wound. Yesterday was rainy and they were in the semi-secure run all day(day time run is surrounded by welded wire garden fence and covered with a hawk net). Today, they were in the run until an hour ago and then let out to free range. They were out for about 30 minutes before we noticed her neck. The skin is missing and we can see her neck muscles. The blood seems to already be coagulated. None of the other chickens seem to be traumatized.
I rinsed the area with sterile saline and doused it with iodine solution. We are also going to put triple antibiotic on the wound.
She is currently in a dog crate in the house. Should I continue to keep her separated until the wound heals? She is sore, but trying to preen and is eating.
Any idea what caused this? Could it have been another chicken? I think it looks like a hawk wound, but am not sure when that could have happened.
IMG_20230409_123757207_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230409_124038023_HDR.jpg

My rooster would make those wounds on my girls. He killed one and almost killed another doing it so he’s separated now. For her, keep it clean and leave her separated from the others until it heals up a decent amount before reintroducing her to the others. If it’s another chicken, then you need to figure out who and separate/get rid of it

We just noticed that one of our hens was attacked. We aren't sure when or by what. Two days ago, I hand carried her back to the run in the evening and think I would have noticed the wound. Yesterday was rainy and they were in the semi-secure run all day(day time run is surrounded by welded wire garden fence and covered with a hawk net). Today, they were in the run until an hour ago and then let out to free range. They were out for about 30 minutes before we noticed her neck. The skin is missing and we can see her neck muscles. The blood seems to already be coagulated. None of the other chickens seem to be traumatized.
I rinsed the area with sterile saline and doused it with iodine solution. We are also going to put triple antibiotic on the wound.
She is currently in a dog crate in the house. Should I continue to keep her separated until the wound heals? She is sore, but trying to preen and is eating.
Any idea what caused this? Could it have been another chicken? I think it looks like a hawk wound, but am not sure when that could have happened.View attachment 3461280View attachment 3461281
Do you have a rooster? It’s very possible another chicken did this. Have you ever noticed this hen being bullied?
Keep her separate until it heals, and do not allow the wound to dry out, keep it moist with ointment or *raw honey.

We do have a rooster, but never noticed rough behavior.
I guess the question is, how quickly does chicken blood coagulate? I suppose it is possible that she was attacked right after we let them out. I wish I had taken pictures before treating her.

Back
Top Bottom