Mink Attack

Sassafras_Tea

Chirping
Mar 12, 2024
I have kept chickens for one year & I always get the answers I’m looking for from this forum when I do a google search. Figured I may as well join since I always end up here & value this group’s advice to others. Yesterday, our flock was attacked by a mink. 2 Buff Orpingtons were killed and 1 Buff has been injured. We interrupted the attack or I’m sure our whole flock would have been killed. We have traps & trail cams out for the mink, but I’m a novice with wound care. I have ordered Vetericmyn to be delivered in the morning & my vet told me to apply iodine after cleaning the wound with soapy water. She is injured right in the middle of her back, up high, under both wings. You cannot see the injury until you lift her wings. Her think skin is completely torn away. Am I doing everything I can, or is there something more? I do not want her to be in pain 💔 She’s in the coop alone, has food and water with electrolytes.. Would a shot of Tylan help? Are there pain meds that chickens can have? She’s the sweetest girl. I will try to take photos and add them when I clean the wound

@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive
Could you send photos to show the extent of the damages?
Make sure to reinforce the coop and run as best as you can, the mink WILL come back. You can rinse the would with saline eye wash, but that is as far as I know. The wound should heal well by itself when it is clean and free.
Thank you, I will add saline eye wash to my list! Leaving now to buy the products. Our girls are put up in a horse barn turned chicken coop at night, but the attack happened yesterday when they were free ranging inside our 2 acre fenced yard. I swear the mink was watching for an opportunity! We have an Australian Shepherd that’s been raised along side the hens and she is very gentle and loving with them. She herds them like her breed will do with sheep for example & she loves watching over them. We brought her inside to eat yesterday about 2 & BAM that’s when the attack happened! My son interrupted it, but it had already killed 2 when he scared it off the 3rd! We put out traps and even went into the woods, found its home and laid waste to it. I know you’re right that it will come back 😱 There’s a space by the gate where it closes that’s wide that needs fortifying where the mink can get in. I just never dreamed of an attack in the day with so much activity going on around our home. We are outside more than we’re in! Very present with the flock daily. My heart is broken for my poor Buff, she’s so sweet. I will post a pic as soon as I can

Mink is just another name for weasel. Sneaky, determined and efficient killers, day or night. I'm saddened over this attack. I reminds me of many predator attacks my flock has experienced. It never gets fun.

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.

Your post is a God send. Thank you for this knowledge, it is a comfort to me! I will do everything you said. I flushed her would with warm, soapy water just now & I added some before and after photos of that. I will buy saline and regular Neo. I circled a piece of skin that’s rolled up in 2 of the before photos. These aren’t the best, but I will get more after I make a supply run. We caught a raccoon in one of the traps, not the mink we were looking for, but we disposed of it anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9951.jpeg
    IMG_9951.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9949.jpeg
    IMG_9949.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 3
I tried my best to take good photos, but it’s my first time handling a wounded chicken and I’m afraid. I will get more after I go to town and buy better supplies

Attachments

• IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9947.jpeg
    IMG_9947.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9949.jpeg
    IMG_9949.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9950.jpeg
    IMG_9950.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9951.jpeg
    IMG_9951.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 3
If any skin flaps are still attached and the color is good, meaning blood still flows to the skin flap, use it as a graft instead of trimming it away. Just be sure you clean and disinfect the flap and wound and rinse them with the saline solution as it restores proper ph to the skin cells so as to promote new cell growth.

Back
Top Bottom