Hen breathing problems! Please help ASAP! Video in description

Is she still gaping non-stop? Is she resting at all? Petco may sell the dog wormers above. At the feed store tomorrow, I would also pick up a vial of Tylan 50 injectable, and 5 syringes (3cc) and 5 needles(22 gauge.) The Tylan can be given orally or by injection, but you will still need the needles to remove it from the vial. Dosage is 1 ml or cc daily for 3-5 days. It is for respiratory disease, just in case this is not gapeworm. There is not much you can do for her except isolate her and make sure she is in a ventilated area, not too hot or too cold. Offer her water, but don't worry about food tonight.

Well she's perched right now. She's not gaping as much as she was earlier but her breathing is still very audible. She seems alert and she was fairly active earlier (gave us a good chase when we tried to isolate her).

That doesn't sound quite as serious as gapeworm. Dawg53 suggested that it could be something stuck in her esophagus or acrop problem. Chickens can get a piece of food or debris stuck in the throat, and cause respiratory distress. Shaking of the head could mean a respiratory disease, or a crop problem. I would get the Tylan50 and the wormer.

Last edited:
So I went to the feed store today and I got benzimidazole and VetRx. They didn't have the Tylan50 or the fenbendazole, but the lady told me that benzimidazole would kill gape. We treated her with both. We also fed her water with electrolytes, as we don't think she's been drinking by herself.

No real change in condition yet.

Another thing my mom noticed was that as she was feeling/massaging our hen's neck, she noticed sort of a nodule shape around the throat area. She said it was about peanut size when she started massaging, but that she thinks it got smaller after about 20 min. Is the nodule supposed to be there? Or is that a blockage of some sort?

I don't understand. What is the name of the wormer that you gave? Benzimidazole is a name of a group of wormers. Fenbendazole is one of several benzimidazoles. What is the name of the one you bought? Vet Rx is an old time 100 year old remedy that is made of of several oils including oregano, rosemary, balsam, and camphor. There is no medication in it, but it may give the same effects as Vicks. Perhaps your mother felt some sort of mass in the crop?

Take her to a vet. I would have lost a beautiful little hen last year but she is alive and thriving due to quick action. Birds hide illness well until the very end.

Back
Top Bottom