Hen crowing suddenly?

Cockerel. These feathers appear pointed. :)
46360279-D92C-4681-A718-5A3D5FAADD85.jpeg

The hackles look rather male, but I don't see male saddles and an Australorp ought to have had them long ago. I've seen the beginning of saddles showing on my Australorps as early as 10 weeks with them obvious at 12-14 weeks.

You can see the saddles plainly on these 3-month-olds:

1009221615g-jpg.3286113

Ok. Thanks. I did just post 2 more pictures. Not sure if they are any better. It usually goes to the back of the run when I enter. Unless I have grubs or some snack. Sure is always keeping an eye on me. While the others happily forage in the run. Thanks for input. Does yours have spurs starting?

I haven't really paid any attention to when the spurs start. I also have a hen, a Mottled Java, who had a fairly impressive set of spurs by the time she was 9 months old so while spurs are *usually* a male thing there are some hens with spurs.

Cockerel. These feathers appear pointed. :)
View attachment 3331313

They look rounded to me. :oops:

This is when a hand or a piece of paper under the saddles is helpful to show the true shape. :)

I see no male specific feathering on this one, and there should be at 26 weeks if it were a regular cockerel.

Sometimes you get a chicken that is kind of in between. Or it could be a female that has a damaged ovary, which would then cause her to develop masculine characteristics like a giant comb and giant wattles, and yes, the crowing. If that is the case, you won't get eggs from her.
Hmm, it has always been a weird chicken. It has always made weird sounds. As a chick it sounded like a cricket, and now it sort of growls (no bawk sounds). And crowing.

We had another rooster (a maran) that crowed early on and we had to give him away. This is why I was surprised by this one crowing later. Still learning. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom