HEN DEAD NEED HELP!!!

cool chick

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
Yesterday morning we found our 1 and a half year old hen laying on her side, underneath the house they sleep in inside their coop. Her legs was kicked out and her mouth was open but her eyes was closed she was also warm. There was no sign of blood or anything she was healthy and happy and at nine in the morning when we went to check on them she was fine then at noon we went out and we found her. There is 3 other hens and a rooster they was all laying around her. What could of happened? She died in a 2 hour period. But her face had turned Grey and her head was laying down please help me

Head likely blue before turning gray. How is her weight? Check meat over breast bone. Discoloration may indicate inability to get enough oxygen moved about with blood. Chocking possible but something like worms in intestinal tract also possible.

Yesterday morning we found our 1 and a half year old hen laying on her side, underneath the house they sleep in inside their coop. Her legs was kicked out and her mouth was open but her eyes was closed she was also warm. There was no sign of blood or anything she was healthy and happy and at nine in the morning when we went to check on them she was fine then at noon we went out and we found her. There is 3 other hens and a rooster they was all laying around her. What could of happened? She died in a 2 hour period. But her face had turned Grey and her head was laying down please help me

If you have saved her body, you can refrigerate it in a plastic bag (don't freeze,) and contact your state dept of agriculture to try and get a necropsy by your state vet. There are so many causes of chicken death, and even when we see symptoms before hand, it can be hard to guess at the problem. Crop impaction, egg binding, worms, intestinal diseases, egg yolk peritonitis, and infectious diseases are a few of the many causes. Sorry that you lost her.

@cool chick
I'm so sorry for your loss!! I know how it feels to lose a feather baby. If for some reason this happens again, refrigerator her and contact your local animal lab and/or agriculture and they will test the hen for any contagious disease. I am going through this process now.
Sending comfort your way
1f49c.png

Head likely blue before turning gray. How is her weight? Check meat over breast bone. Discoloration may indicate inability to get enough oxygen moved about with blood. Chocking possible but something like worms in intestinal tract also possible.
She had lost a lot of weight she was petite thats why we called her ma petite

Back
Top Bottom