Hen has large portion of skin missing/injured...

KirBear

Chirping
Nov 20, 2019
Utah
Today I was walking out to my coop, to close up the chickens for the night, and when I checked to see if they were all there I noticed some bleeding on one of my hens. She's a Rhode Island Red, of regular weight, and is definitely my sweetest girl. She loves to cuddle, and she is also definitely our rooster's favorite, and has been missing back feathers for a while.
I picked her up and took her to our garage to take a closer look, expecting a scratch, but it was much worse. A large, two inch, circular wound was hidden under her wing. It extends down under her skin a bit more. I'm going to attach a picture at the end, and it is a bit gross, so be careful.
Anyways, she hasn't shown any signs of pain, and when I dab the wound with a warm cloth she doesn't even react much. I'm worried it might get or already have frostbite. I put some Neosporin on after cleaning it off with warm water and drying it, and we're soon getting rid of our rooster. I'm assuming he roughed her up.
Blue, (that's her name), has been eating and drinking normally, but I haven't seen her poop today. I'll post an update if I see anything strange.
Their coop is store bought, meant for 8 chickens, and I use pine shavings as bedding. As for treatment, I would like to be able to solve this myself.
F16F244C-A23A-4893-B502-DDF15FA72405.jpeg

C98CCA0E-C078-43DC-86A3-808D01018255.jpeg

He actually doesn't have spurs yet. I can see them growing in, but nothing sharp. He mounts her pretty aggressively, and then our other rooster holds her down and bites her. We're selling one too see if it helps.
That sounds more like being attacked if 2 roosters are in on it, i would def rehome one, even if it is freezer camp.

Clean the wound now, infection can set in fast, the wound looks a bit old to me, some areas are already scabbing over. It's best to irrigate with Sterile Normal Saline, you can find it at Walgreens or any major pharmacy. Then put on Triple antibiotic ointment and keep covered with gauze and Vet Wrap ( horse wrap/ flex bandage). You need to separate her for a while.

I believe it's mounting, because it goes both ways, one rooster mounts and the other holds down. But I'm not sure. How can you tell the difference?
I'm no expert on this subject, but from everything I've seen only one rooster ever participates, not 2 of them working together, and I have multiple roosters.
Sorry if this is coming off mean, I don't mean to fight and I'm getting off the subject at hand, helping your hen.

Back
Top Bottom