Hen has only ever laid 1 egg in 7 weeks. Help!

MaybeMay

Chirping
Sep 18, 2021
Hello everyone.
I have an odd situation going on with my blue Australorp Blueberry who is nearly seven months old. She laid her first egg just over 7 weeks ago and has not laid since. We did have to take her rooster buddy away a couple days afterwards as he finally started to crow and we can’t keep roosters where we are. I was worried about her being alone so I did introduce her to 4 five week old and 2 six week olds chicks though was having to keep them separated as when they where together she would try peck them. She is okay with them now as they are nearly 14 and 15 weeks old now. But we have not had a egg from blueberry since. I assume that it’s because she’s not happy with the little one and will get over it. Everyday she sits in the nest box for 15-30 mins and practices her egg song still. But I’m wondering if there could be some other reason as to why she’s not laying, any advise, or do I just have to wait until they all get along and establish a pecking order.?

So she's the only hen old enough for laying?
She could have been on winter break or molting. What does she eat.
Yah she’s the only one old enough to lay.
I’m in Australia so summer here.
She eats a layers pellet and lots of grass as they free range all day. She will also occasionally peck at the chick grower food.

How old is she, in weeks or months?

they free range all day
She may have found another place to lay out in the range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Can confirm that the golf ball method works pretty good. Had some new layers this season and they started plopping them right next to the single golf ball I have in each of the nest boxes. However, the middle next box (which is apparently this seasons best nest box) was taken one day and one of my new hens decided that the corner of the coop was the next best choice. Still training, but looking promising!

How old is she, in weeks or months?

She may have found another place to lay out in the range area.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
She is 29 weeks.

I’ve gone hunting now and then wondering if this is a possibility with no luck, but she will still sit in the nest box everyday.
I do have a golf ball in each nest box she always seems to sit in the same one everyday.

Back
Top Bottom