hen heat stress

soufiane

Chirping
Nov 30, 2020
i have a hen and rooster they are half brahmas. it gets from 68 to 78 degrees in here but my rooster doesnt have signs of heat stress . my hen in the other hand gasping for air all day long she doesnt have signs of a disease. but have signs of heat stress (spreading wings and drink too much water) . can someone tell me why my hen is the only one that experiencing heat stress ?

Are they inside a coop where the temperature may be higher? Make sure they have very good ventilation, and a fan placed facing out of a window to draw air through the coop may be helpful. I like to use shallow pans of shaded cool water for my chickens to stand in on how days to cool off. Make plenty of shade for them if the coop and run are not shaded. I had a brahma hen who used to act that way on hot days. If she is overweight, I would make sure that she is not getting too many carbs or treats.

i have a hen and rooster they are half brahmas. it gets from 68 to 78 degrees in here but my rooster doesnt have signs of heat stress . my hen in the other hand gasping for air all day long she doesnt have signs of a disease. but have signs of heat stress (spreading wings and drink too much water) . can someone tell me why my hen is the only one that experiencing heat stress ?
78 doesn't seem too hot , are you sure nothing else going on with her? If my girls appear in heat distress I let them soak in a bucket. They seem to like it. I'll stick a towel over them and they just sit there. They can get out at any time but will totally chill. Hope she is better.

How is she doing now?
If she's still exhibiting the behavior you describe, please get a video so we can see her.
Upload your video to youtube and provide a link.
Thank you.

How is she doing now?
If she's still exhibiting the behavior you describe, please get a video so we can see her.
Upload your video to youtube and provide a link.
Thank you.
she is a little bit better. but still drinks a lot of water and her poop is watery because of the water she drinks. she is been like this for months and she eats normal lays eggs everyday and when she goes broody she become 100% normal (solid poop with no water) . i dont know if shes is sick or does she has a parasite or something?

she is a little bit better. but still drinks a lot of water and her poop is watery because of the water she drinks. she is been like this for months and she eats normal lays eggs everyday and when she goes broody she become 100% normal (solid poop with no water) . i dont know if shes is sick or does she has a parasite or something?
Wait. She's been like this for months? You mention she's gasping for air all day long - has this been going on a long time too?

Please get some photos of the poop.
A video of her would be good - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink - it should be empty - if it's not emptying then this could be part of her problem.

Wait. She's been like this for months? You mention she's gasping for air all day long - has this been going on a long time too?

Please get some photos of the poop.
A video of her would be good - upload to youtube and provide a link.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink - it should be empty - if it's not emptying then this could be part of her problem.
the gasping was not all day long. but it is when its 78F but the rooster was fine in this degree. and drinking a lot of water and having watery poop this started months ago exactly when the hen started laying eggs , and stops when she is broody . i will get a photo of her poop and try to make a video.

the gasping was not all day long. but it is when its 78F ...drinking a lot of water and ... this started months ago
my hen in the other hand gasping for air all day long

OK. Hard to know which one it was - all day long or just gasping for a little while? One time, several days, only when she drinks/eats....????

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. That's where I would start.

Last edited:
OK. Hard to know which one it was - all day long or just gasping for a little while? One time, several days, only when she drinks/eats....????

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. That's where I would start.
i took a video for the chicken as you see. today is 70F she opens her mouth for a bit then closes it and does it again and again :
and this is a picture of her poop.

Attachments

• IMG20210615171152.jpg
    IMG20210615171152.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom