Hen hurting

Rachel'sFlock

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Otis, Oregon ~ Chicken People Since 5/10
Hyacinth the hen has been pretty well beaten up, lately.
sad.png

She has some signs of overbreeding ( I have cut back from 2 roos to one in the past couple of weeks, but the remaining roo fancies her, especially), as well of being at the beginning of her molt.
She has taken to limping the past couple of days and I just felt like enough was enough.
I checked the limped on foot, and see nothing wrong with it, specifically, so, maybe it was juts a sprain or something(?) from the roo being too rough. It isn't swollen, or red.
I have seperated her from the flock, and placed her in a cage enclosure inside the coop.

I am hoping a break from limping and breeding will help her heal, but I don't know what else to do for her.
She flipped clean out when I put her in the cage, so I covered it up and made it dark for her so she could rest.
She has quieted and I am going to leave her covered for the night.
Is there anything else I should be doing for her?
Any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated.

You can give her aspirin. From the emergencies sticky:

Pain Relief

website. Warning: aspirin thins the blood and should not be used if internal bleeding is suspected or in cases where a wound will not stop bleeding.

Another day of rest may be good, or if she seems better, she might be better off being back with her buddies. Sounds like she needs a saddle, too. They can be bought or made from a scrap of cloth, even without sewing. The back of an old sweatshirt will probably make at least 4. I usually have a spare in the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/patterns-chicken-saddles

I've made several similar to the one on the right except I didn't bother with the tail hole. If you use polarfleece or sweatshirt fabric, it won't ravel, and you don't need to sew anything. The dimensions are always a bit of a guess, so don't feel badly if you have to toss the first couple of tries. I've found that after a day or so, they seem to be completely unaware of them.

You can give her aspirin. From the emergencies sticky:

Pain Relief

Another day of rest may be good, or if she seems better, she might be better off being back with her buddies. Sounds like she needs a saddle, too. They can be bought or made from a scrap of cloth, even without sewing. The back of an old sweatshirt will probably make at least 4. I usually have a spare in the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/patterns-chicken-saddles

I've made several similar to the one on the right except I didn't bother with the tail hole. If you use polarfleece or sweatshirt fabric, it won't ravel, and you don't need to sew anything. The dimensions are always a bit of a guess, so don't feel badly if you have to toss the first couple of tries. I've found that after a day or so, they seem to be completely unaware of them.
Thank you, Judy!
I think I will keep her in stir for another day and night, and let her out to play with them, tomorrow. I will work on a saddle for her, today. I have some scrap fabric and will see what I can do. Maybe I can crochet one!!!
Thanks again!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom