Hen is Crowing and Mounting Other Hens Help!

She is still young so she isn’t capable of laying or fertilizing yet (that would be the easy way to tell! 😂). I do have other roos and I’ve raised many roos before and none of their crowing sounds like this weird gargled sound.
That is because he is just beginning to crow. He is figuring things out. Ones he masters it, he’ll be crowing all day and even at night! 😅
At least, that’s what my roosters do.

I've heard of that happening with a dominant hen if there is no rooster, but there were lots of roosters so..

I have a hen who crows, but she’s 2 and only started crowing after our lead hen passed away. She still lays eggs regularly. But when she’s unhappy she crows. Loudly.

08D03E87-BA20-460D-9515-045CBE4FFA1C.jpeg
77267AD0-BF77-443B-BF96-F5D63B9FD581.jpeg

The tail feathers, comb size, and comb color are clear signs that this is a cockerel.

I have a hen who crows, but she’s 2 and only started crowing after our lead hen passed away. She still lays eggs regularly. But when she’s unhappy she crows. Loudly.
To be clear this is not me saying your bird is female, @hannahshatcheryofficial , it’s me saying yes hens can crow, but 4 month olds don’t. A crowing 4 month old is a regular old cockerel, doing cockerel behaviors.

Back
Top Bottom