Hen is sick and i need help

So her breed (she's actually not a breed but a hybrid) is prone to reproductive problems, such as ascites, egg yolk peritonitis, and internal laying. Don't blame yourself for this; this happens with these hybrid production hens. I'll tag some others to see if they have any ideas on the best way to help her.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Hello, we have a hen who showed signed if illness starting last Saturday. At first I thought it was egg bound so we did water bath multiple times and increased calcium. No eggs. I felt and to me it felt like she had an egg lodged, but still no egg. Also, she is still pooping,eating and drinking. So I thought maybe a parasite. We started an antibiotic and kept this going until today. Lastly, as none of this has helped, we wormed her. We have kept her isolated, gave lots of love and care, she is waddling like a penguin, abdominal swelling, no eggs being laid. Thus has been a full week.

Corid, really at this point we are just guessing, but trying to treat the symptoms.

I have amoxicillian, will that work?

The only thing they had was a goat worker, they broke down the dosage for me. Could the corid be giving her the diarrhea?
Please post photos of her and her poop.

Waddling, abdominal swelling and no eggs does sound like a reproductive disorder.

Cancer, Salpingitis, Internal Laying, EYP, etc. are all common in laying hens. Swelling or bloat can be fluid (symptom called Ascites). IF there is fluid in the abdomen, draining some of the fluid can give the hen some relief for a period of time, but it's not a cure. Whatever underlying illness or condition that is causing fluid to accumulate still exists.

Antibiotics may be helpful in treating infection and inflammation. Again, often the antibiotic is supportive care and comfort, not a cure.

Amoxicillin can be given. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

Deworming - you gave a Goat Dewormer - I assume Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer - that's a good one to use. Not sure how good you feed store was in supplying dosing info. Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is dosed by weight, so the dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row. This rate and dose will treat most worms that poultry have, except for Tapeworms.

Unfortunately, your feed store is not correct about the Corid (Amprolium). Corid is a Coccidiostat not an antibiotic, it will only treat Coccidiosis.
Corid is mild and will not hurt her or your other girls, it just will not treat infection or act as any type of antibiotic.

Work on her drinking, see that she's eating her normal feed. I'd be inclined to also give her 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily for 3-5 days just in case there is an egg or some material like lash material that's in the system that can be expelled.

Back
Top Bottom