Hen keeps trying to attack my dog!

Apr 9, 2018
Hi everyone!

We've had our girls for almost 2 years- a black sex-link and a gold sex-link. Last week, our black sex-link started crowing and has tried to attack my dog (a 45 pound pittbull) several times! She's also stopped submissively squatting- The gold one still squats.

Neither girls have laid since around October- though they laid great the full year before as pullets. They get plenty of food and water, and are let out regularly to free range in the yard.

My husband wants to rehome them because they're not laying and now the one is being aggressive and crowing loudly- he's worried what our neighbors think.

Does anyone have any solutions??? I'm open to just about anything! I've bought the no crow collar, but haven't tested it out yet. I'm more concerned about the aggression.

Thanks!!

Are you dominant?
Try thinking of a punishment for every time she attacks the dog (like a spray bottle or hold her upside down).
What breed?

Sex links are prone to reproductive problems and cancers. Sounds like maybe the one has damage to her ovary and is becoming more male.

In general I find sex links need a higher protein feed to sustain production, and they are prone to quitting and never resuming.

I would try a higher protein ration, something with 20-22% to see if you can jump start production.

Sex links are prone to reproductive problems and cancers. Sounds like maybe the one has damage to her ovary and is becoming more male.

In general I find sex links need a higher protein feed to sustain production, and they are prone to quitting and never resuming.

I would try a higher protein ration, something with 20-22% to see if you can jump start production.

I've been giving them tuna here and there. I'll try a different feed and see if that helps.

Thank you!

I think tuna is a fine treat. My sexlink molted super hard and I fed her as much tuna as she would eat. Within hours she stopped walking like a drunken chicken. Not that I would make it her main food but it was a helpful protein supplement.

I second old hens. My sexlinks were the only feather pickers in my flock. After the hard molt neither laid again. Add in the feather picking and new aggressive behavior I sadly donated them to the raptor center. Will never again get sexlinks.

Back
Top Bottom