hen laying in the run

I hesitated to post this, didn't want everyone to think I was a complete weirdo, but, well, ahem, I guess I am. I do a LOT of chicken watching. I mean, hours and hours... and more hours. I've seen more stronger willed hens want a box and chase another hen out just as she was about to lay, I mean, the egg came out as she was jumping down (2 feet) to the floor.

I've seen them chased out and sit right where they landed and lay.

I've seen them chased out and get in the corner on the floor under the nest boxes and turn around in circles (like a dog does) and set and lay on the floor in a little "floor nest" that some of them prefer. (I gave up trying to keep them from doing that, it is now officially a nesting "box".)

I've seen them fight over a nesting box and the hen that you would expect (and who usually "wins", doesn't) stomp out of coop and go to the middle of the run, squat and squawk as if throwing a bit of a temper tantrum and lay there in the open run.

I've seen a a hen get up on the roost in the middle of the day, squawk and carry on as if she is being attacked, flailing her wings and jump from one roost to another, then suddenly quiet herself, lay an egg, jump down (very nonchalantly) and stroll on outside like nothing just happened.

And, as is the case with free range birds, you don't even want to know some of the stories from other places I have had to discourage laying. I would almost guarantee that your hen can't get where she wants, when she wants and so, has just found "her own place". One thing I have thought to try and haven't is making curtains for the laying boxes and see if that changes their appeal. Like most people with thirty plus birds, we have twelve boxes and get eggs out of three of four. If you do something like that, let me know if it solves the problem. :)

Yeah I would have to agree that she might be getting "kicked out" by a bossy hen. Possibly you need to staple up some nest box curtains (just google image it) for more privacy. Or a plastic nesting box turned around so the hen can lay "out of view".

My hens are 8 1/2 months old and were laying in the nesting boxes until fall time change and now I can't get them to lay anywhere near the nesting box. They have decided an opposite corner of the coop is a better spot. I've tried putting a golf ball in the nest and also moved eggs into the best to try encourage laying there but still no luck. Does time change and colder temps maybe change there habits?

I spend time watching my girls too. I don't think my girls are affected by privacy. I've seen them sided by side in the nesting box. The one time, Mabeline sweezed in the box with Curly. Mabeline stood and laid her egg. Before she looked down to check out her egg, Curly pulled it in under her. Mabeline couldn't figure out what happened to her egg so she just jumped down. Also, I often see several hens watching the hen in the nesting box - like reality TV.

I spend time watching my girls too.  I don't think my girls are affected by privacy.  I've seen them sided by side in the nesting box.  The one time, Mabeline sweezed in the box with Curly. Mabeline stood and laid her egg.  Before she looked down to check out her egg, Curly pulled it in under her.  Mabeline couldn't figure out what happened to her egg so she just jumped down.  Also, I often see several hens watching the hen in the nesting box - like reality TV.

LOL @ like reality TV :lol: :D

I have one girl that looked like she was just about suffocating another who was in "The" nest...The poor girl on the bottom looked so disgusted...
They have plenty of nests, but have their favorites and it changes. Go figure. I too get a kick out of it when others go into watch...it's like a materinty waiting room. Sometimes I think I need to put little chicken magazines in there for some of them.
lol.png

I have one girl that looked like she was just about suffocating another who was in "The" nest...The poor girl on the bottom looked so disgusted...
They have plenty of nests, but have their favorites and it changes. Go figure. I too get a kick out of it when others go into watch...it's like a materinty waiting room. Sometimes I think I need to put little chicken magazines in there for some of them. :lol:

Possibly a few posters too ... A hot rooster, baskets of eggs, adorable chicks. I love cackling hens :D

I got this girl when she was a year old and according to the previous owner she used to lay outside because she didn't have any nesting box. That explains everything!
She isn't at the lowest of the pecking order and they all have enough nesting boxes to feel comfortable. Actually they all want to lay on the same one
roll.png
. So I think I should teach her to lay inside the nesting boxes instead of outside because it's annoying to have to get her eggs under the coop. Now the question is how do I teach her?

Back
Top Bottom