Hen missing feathers on her lower back...NOT a rooster!

I was given a cochin frizzle from a flock with a clean health history. When they took her out of the cage to give to me, they saw the bald spot on her lower back for the first time. She lives in a tractor by herself because she is a runt who wouldn't make it with the big girls. It appears critter free, the skin is not irritated looking and I don't see any new growth. Any ideas on what could have caused it?

Could have been caused by other chickens at her previous home. I had a Frizzle Polish-Silke cross hen that got overbred by roos & then took FOREVER (Don't remember exactly how long--a good 2 to 4 months, though) to grow back her feathers.

Quote:
Are they broken feathers to the skin or completely bald? If it is feathers that broke all the way to the skin, then they may not regrown until her molt. That may have been caused when she used to be with the rest of the flock before they moved her. Or she was pecking herself as she was left alone. Chickens are very social and don't do well alone. I ended up making a saddle for my girl and stuck her back out with the others. With the saddle, her feathers couldn't be plucked and all was well. She is completely back to normal now!
smile.png

I have caught a very bossy hen mounting the other hens. Thought maybe it was a "alpa" thing. She is a she...she lays eggs. So hens can do damage too as mentioned.

Oh, her plucking them out of lonliless is a possibility I hadn't thought of. Thanks, that could be it. As far as I know, she has always been alone because she is a bantam I assume and a runt at that so she is tiny. Even though my other hens are all gentle, when I moved them here and loosed them in the new coup together initially, they immediately started pecking and hurting her. So do you think the saddle would protect her enough if I put them together? She definitley wants out of the cage even though it is in the coup and large enough for her. Where woukd i get a saddle and do they come in small sizes?

Oh sorry, I didn't answer your questions. There are no broken feathers, just a bare patch 1-2" square. I'm assuming it was not like that however long ago she was moved to her own cage cause the owner was surprised to see it and these are honest people. Thanks for your help.

Some suggestions: Before integrating her with the others, I'd introduce her to 1 gentle buddy in another pen for a few days & then put them in together with the others. Also be sure there are obstacles (feed sack, trash can, perches, etc) they can run around or hop on to get away from other chickens chasing them. Also, having some areas of the coop be poorly lit, shady or kind of cluttered creates a place of refuge for the newbies. It is good to put an extra water & food dish in such an area, too. **BE SURE THERE ARE NO BOXED IN AREAS where the newbies could get cornered by others in the coop or run.
A chicken saddle will indeed offer some very helpful and comforting protection for her bare back, too. BYCer Moodene sells them for about $3 (Did I already mention that before?).
I'm so glad you are looking out for the welfare of this little hen!
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I found this post and wondered if anyone had solved the mystery? Because I have 4 hens with the exact same problem, 1 is not even a year old, so definitely not molting. We don't have a rooster. I have looked very closely and don't see any mites. The hen's backs don't look red, just missing some feathers right in front of the tail. It's not obvious unless you look closely.
I tried a saddle on 1 hen, but she broke feathers getting it off and made her situation worse.

Quote:
My issue seemed to be related to pecking. Why? Who knows. Once a small area is exposed, they keep pecking at it like a kid sticking their tongue in the toothless hole in the gum.
roll.png
Try blue kote (MESSY...be prepared!) and some people have said that pine tar works well too (though I haven't tried that). Vicks vapor rub works well, but has to be reapplied often.

I have the same problem you are going through with my four hens and have tried every method you mentioned except a saddle. What is a saddle? I am not familar with the product. Where can I purchase a saddle or acquire the instructions to make one. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom