Hen not laying!

Roszak08

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
Not sure if this is normal because I'm very new to chickens. I just recently got my first ever chicks and am definitely learning new things every day from them. I wanted to get a couple hens that were already producing though as well so that I wouldn't have to wait so long to start having eggs. I got 2 grown hens from a local farm. One is as sassy as they come and right away adjusted to her new surroundings and started laying. The other is kind of an awkward thing and hasn't layed once. I got them a week and a half ago. The farmer I got them from said they had just finished multing but she is losing feathers. Is this all likely just from stress? Wasn't sure how long it's normal for them to adjust.

Not sure if this is normal because I'm very new to chickens. I just recently got my first ever chicks and am definitely learning new things every day from them. I wanted to get a couple hens that were already producing though as well so that I wouldn't have to wait so long to start having eggs. I got 2 grown hens from a local farm. One is as sassy as they come and right away adjusted to her new surroundings and started laying. The other is kind of an awkward thing and hasn't layed once. I got them a week and a half ago. The farmer I got them from said they had just finished multing but she is losing feathers. Is this all likely just from stress? Wasn't sure how long it's normal for them to adjust.
Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of them?

If one is still losing feathers, then she is likely still in molt. Most hens stop laying eggs during molt.
Molting coupled with going to a new home can be stressful. Once she adjusts and finishes molting, hopefully she will resume laying eggs.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of them?

If one is still losing feathers, then she is likely still in molt. Most hens stop laying eggs during molt.
Molting coupled with going to a new home can be stressful. Once she adjusts and finishes molting, hopefully she will resume laying eggs.

Attachments

• 20231009_103557.jpg
    20231009_103557.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 9
Welcome! I'll echo what the others have said. When I first brought home adult birds, some kept laying and others didn't. It depends on their nature and how they handle change. Mine are molting now too, and not laying. It's just a matter of patience and give them time. Try not to disturb her too much or try to handle her - they are very uncomfortable when molting.

Back
Top Bottom