Hen not laying

Chocdish

Chirping
Jun 9, 2023
Sorta new owner here, our coop consists of 3 amberlink hens who have laid eggs pretty much every day for a while now.
The days are shorting(around 10 hours) and 2 of the hens are laying fine but the other has not laid an egg in 4 days. How long is too long? She is acting fine, eating, drinking, active, and isn't egg-bound as far as we can tell, there also haven't been any predators on the game cam. What do we do??? Thank you

How old are they? The day length will cause a lot of birds to stop laying until the solstice, even if they are pullets. Last year none of my pullets laid through the winter, this year I have 2 laying, but not every day.

If she is acting fine, bright eyed and moving - nothing you can do but wait or add lights. Some people see laying increase right after the solstice, for me, up here farther north, I won't get eggs until the end of January.

I assume that you are a little worried about being egg bound, but seriously in my nearly two decades of chickens, I have never had an egg bound chicken.

Mrs K

hmmm I would expect her to be laying. When ever mine have a sudden decrease, they have a hidden nest. They can be hidden in plain sight. If you have time, you might spend some time with them and see how they are acting.

Even though they are young, this time of year, any egg is a treasure, and even if they are laying - it is much more sporadic laying unless you add lights.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom