hen off eggs all day -- cold eggs, hen broody for a month already

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
My poor hen. She sat on eggs since April 22. None of those hatched -- some fell out the back of the coop before I got the bright idea to put a board across, and those that were left and were marked with the date must've been infertile -- she broke them underneath her and my god what a stink! I retrieved them (she's in our downstairs tub for now) and inside one was a grey porridge like substance, and inside the other was a yellow yolky type substance.

Of the 5 remaining under her (none of which have dates, so they were laid on top of her by the other hens until I closed off the nest box about a week into her sitting), when I primitively candled them a few days ago, there seemed to be something in it (about 2/3 or more of the shell was dark, except for the bright air space). She got up today and pooped all over the tub. I put her outside, leaving the door open. She stayed on the lawn, and went by the coop, so I let her into the run.

Tonight I went to lock up the chickens and find her in the nest box. Those eggs were cold all day.

Should I let her sit on them some more, hoping that the chicks inside were old enough to take it?

Should I give her fresh eggs, even though she's been not eating, etc for a month already, can she take 3 more weeks?

I have a hen that went broody this weekend so I put eggs under her marked the 17. Should I take some of those that have a couple of days under their belt and put them under my poor Izzy?

any help greatly appreciated.

See if she'll settle in with them. If she won't just let her stop. If they don't hatch stuff a few day old chicks under her and let her go off thinking she managed it.

Thanks for the replies. She's settled in for the night. We'll see what she does tomorrow morning!

Back
Top Bottom