Hen or Roo?

knickers77

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Mackay, AUSTRALIA
These guys are approx 6weeks now (I know it's probably still too early but I'm really impatient
1f633.png
)!!!

Either those are slow to develop chicks, or you are off on their age. The first two look like they are bare 4 weeks old. It's too early to tell the gender of the Light Sussex. Are 2, 3, and 4 supposed to be Cuckoo Marans? #2 is a cockerel based on coloring. No idea what #3 is. #4, if pure cuckoo Maran, is a pullet.

#1 light sussex
#2 barred rock (who I suspected roo)
#3 Silver sussex
#4 barred rock
We've had them 4 weeks yesterday & they were supposed to be 1-2 weeks old between them!

So then the younger ones could be only 4 weeks old. You do not have Barred Rocks, the legs are pink/white. Rocks have yellow legs. Are they hatchery sourced or from a breeder? If from a breeder, where all the breeds kept separate?

So then the younger ones could be only 4 weeks old. You do not have Barred Rocks, the legs are pink/white. Rocks have yellow legs. Are they hatchery sourced or from a breeder? If from a breeder, where all the breeds kept separate?

I guess you are right...they could have been day olds when we got them and sold under the pretence they were older!
It's from a breeder - I'll have to check if she breeds Marans (I don't think she does)!
We don't want them for breeding/showing, just pets so it's no big issue. We just at hope that all of them aren't roos!

If she doesn't breed Marans, then that would mean they are Barred Rock/Sussex crosses. The white skin color is dominant over yellow. That makes sexing the barred chicks more difficult because the usual lighter birds are male, darker birds are female rules might not apply. I think that #2 is probably a Barred Rock/Sussex crossed with a Barred Rock, making him look like a typical barred Rock male with the wrong leg color. #3 looks like a pullet. A silver Sussex cockerel have solid black feathers on the chest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom