Hen or Roo?

knickers77

In the Brooder
May 24, 2015
Mackay, AUSTRALIA
Any suggestions on the sex of these little ones? Too early?

Nothing screaming roo yet...really young to tell with certainty. Watch the cuckoo patterned bird...the comb development is more pronounced, but may be in keeping with the breed, however, if that is Cuckoo Marans...Marans telecast pretty early.

LofMc

Your photos don't show the individual birds completely well, so it is hard to tell breed.

I would check your BR...they should have yellow legs with a black wash down the front. They should also show barring coming in on the wings. Males showing more barring from the beginning (generally) as they have double barring genes. Marans have grey legs, which is why I think your bird is a Cuckoo Marans...grey legs, and too early to tell for certain with the patterning, but looking cuckoo rather than barred. BR's usually come in with stronger bands rather than scattered dots...but again, I went by leg color in the photo as well...and you can tell better in person.

Also, I think I see a rose comb in the far background...your SLW should have a rose comb. If they are all single combs, then you don't have an SLW.

The other barred bird (white head dot), also is a bit suspect for Barred Rock due to coloring...but it is very early.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom