Hen or Rooster? And what breed?

Jessa83

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Boggabri NSW

I bought this little fellow a couple of months ago thinking it was a hen, now I'm not so sure. I was told it was a mixed breed bantam, now I'm not so sure cos (he/she) towers over my two laying pekin bantams. Any ideas on breed? It was a pale lavender colour as a chick but is now getting dark almost black feathers on its neck. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
It's turning into a very handsome bird, but I think your suspicions are correct. I'm seeing hackle, saddle and sickle feathers, upright stance and red comb.
My guess would be an EE or EE cross cockerel just going off the facial tufts, hawkish look and general shape, but I don't know anything about Andalusians, so the other poster may be spot on.

Will you be able to keep him? It would be great to see what he looks like when he is fully developed because he is going to be serious eye candy I think. Mutt or not, I would be proud to have him in my flock. I am already imagining the barnyard mix babies he and my araucana cross could make!
droolin.gif

Last edited:

I'm lucky enough to live in a small country town, so I don't need to worry about the crowing. He is such an affectionate boy, always coming for evening cuddles & to sit in his favourite perch, my shoulder. My concern is how big he will get & will he be a danger to my beautiful little pekin bantam hens...

If it is Andalusian, they are a mid sized bird with quite long legs. And quite good flyers.

Mine are friendly, no respect for personal space, they always try to get on your head.

He is an Easter Egger cockerel. Purebred Andalusians don't have muffs and a beard or a pea-type comb, which this bird has.

He's a poorly bred splash Ameraucana or an EE. They're not usually huge birds when they're mature, but you'll have to be the one to decide if he's okay with your little girls.

Thanks for all the help guys! At this stage, my two hens still rule over him, even though he is much taller. I guess all I can do is keep an eye on them all as they mature... Thanks again! :-D

Back
Top Bottom