Hen or Rooster? And what breed?

Not just handsome but not a bad voice either!

So pleased you are able to keep him. Of course if I lived near to you I would be hoping you couldn't, so that I could have him.
wink.png

Last edited:

For anyone interested, the is my Rooster these days. He has grown into a very big boy, but his two hens seem to love him so iv kept him. He is a Dad now & has a little jet black chick that seems to be taking more after him in the looks department than it's pekin bantam mother.

Great news that he and your bantams have got on so well and even better that they have a chick together. Where are the photos of the chick??? Is it broody hatched/reared? Pekins are such good mothers. Hope it is a pullet.
Is your rooster still as friendly now he is all grown up? I found with my cockerels that were friendly as chicks, that they lost interest in me once they grew into big boys, whereas the pullets were very flighty as chicks and became more friendly as they matured. In fact it has almost been more of a reliable sexing trait than visual signs.
Anyway, thanks so much for updating us and congratulations. It's lovely to read a happy story.

I hope he's fully grown :-D he not as affectionate now, still comes running when I call, but he will no longer sit in my lap. Our chick was broody hatch/reared, we left one egg with the hen to see if she would stick it out. I haven't got a recent photo of the chick (it's about a month old now) but here it is on its first day out of the egg with a proud Mum & Aunty

My only worry would be during breeding when the rooster will attempt to get on the back of the ladies.. I would just keep a watch on this process to see how well the ladies tolerate it.

My only worry would be during breeding when the rooster will attempt to get on the back of the ladies.. I would just keep a watch on this process to see how well the ladies tolerate it.

Yes this does worry me a bit, he does get on them quite regularly, at first I thought it was a bit violent, but the hens don't seem to mind, they get up & shake it off. The girls don't seem to have any injuries or to be all that fazed by it...

Back
Top Bottom