Hen panting, weird poop - stress? please help!

Dragonwolfmastr

Songster
Nov 25, 2019
Hey, unfortunately I’m back in this section again.

I have a hen with a few weird symptoms. I have done some research and can’t seem to connect them.

1) Columbian Wyandotte, 3.5-4 years old. She seems a normal weight— has always been chunky.
2) She is sometimes, not all the time, panting/breathing with her mouth open. It seems to go on and off and only happens most prominently when we’ve been handling her, so it may be stress. She seems a little more tired than usual, just standing around but also foraging a decent amount.
3) I first started noticing her panting maybe 3, 4 days ago.
4) Our other hens seem fine and energetic as normal, eating and drinking normally, not panting.
5) No physical trauma. She has a small clump of dried poop in her fluff, but it is not blocking her vent at all.
6) There’s been quite a few changes in our chicken-keeping system recently. First, we started using rat traps and filling in some of the rat holes. Then we lost our Silkie hen a few days ago due to worms or flystrike. So we started deworming them. We did 3 days of treatment so far.
7) She has been eating and drinking normally, with normal amounts of treats.
8) Most of the poops look normal, except for one really weird poop that I’m confused about.

Photo below. There’s a chance it could be poisoned rat droppings because we have bait out too but I’m really not sure. Edit: Friend said it could just be wild bird droppings. Including the pic just in case.

This is a really zoomed in photo, the clumps are actually quite tiny.

A5A272FB-3968-49E6-B680-0531E979DADD.jpeg

9) No treatment for the panting yet, just a bit of dewormer in the past few days.
10 ) I’d like to solve this myself if I can but I am able to take her to the vet if absolutely needed.
11) She looks pretty much normal on the outside:
63C7FA59-A627-4C3D-8E6F-7B5EB71C6984.jpeg

12) Normal housing/bedding in use that we have been using for 5 years. Pine shavings & good, clean coop - just did our spring/summer cleaning day.

Any thoughts? Could definitely be stress or a one-time thing but I wanted to check to make sure.

Last edited:
What are you deworming her with? Product and dose?

The chunks, can you cut those open? What do they look like inside?

What has she been eating that gives the urates a purple tint?
I'm using Safeguard, 0.25-0.5 mL orally for 3 days.

The chunks are a mix of firm white and brown inside.

I thought about it and I'm not sure what she's been eating, I think just normal food, sunflower seeds, and fresh water, as well as whatever she's getting from foraging-- tiny rocks, bugs, grape leaves.

I'm using Safeguard, 0.25-0.5 mL orally for 3 days.

The chunks are a mix of firm white and brown inside.

I thought about it and I'm not sure what she's been eating, I think just normal food, sunflower seeds, and fresh water, as well as whatever she's getting from foraging-- tiny rocks, bugs, grape leaves.
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight. Given orally for 3 days in a row will take care of Roundworms. I would give for 5 days in a row instead.
Do make sure you're giving the correct dose, I'm sure she weighs more than 1-2lbs right?

Did you take a photo of what the chunks looked like inside? Could it be lash material?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpi...ash eggs result from an,waxy, cheese-like pus.

Are the urates all purple all the time or was that just a one time thing. It's interesting.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight. Given orally for 3 days in a row will take care of Roundworms. I would give for 5 days in a row instead.
Do make sure you're giving the correct dose, I'm sure she weighs more than 1-2lbs right?

Did you take a photo of what the chunks looked like inside? Could it be lash material?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/#:~:text=Lash eggs result from an,waxy, cheese-like pus.

Are the urates all purple all the time or was that just a one time thing. It's interesting.
She does, yes. I think more like 6 pounds. If I did the treatment incorrectly should I start over or continue, but with the right dose?

I didn't take a photo, but I might be able to. Not sure if they're still out there. I don't think it's lash material, as it was really small and more of a marbled brown and white than a solid color.

I never saw any other poops like that-- I think she's been pooping normally but not sure. It is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom