Hen pecking rooster

Ok today she layed her 1st egg but I noticed when he goes to to top her she runs away so maybe you all are right she thinks he's to young for her

Ok today she layed her 1st egg but I noticed when he goes to to top her she runs away so maybe you all are right she thinks he's to young for her
A mature rooster has to earn the right to breed with a hen. A good rooster will call his hens over and show them food that he's found, dance for them, and be the leader of the flock. I think your guy is too young for that yet.

I will separate tonight should set a cage next to his so they can see one another or keep them from seeing one another?

I think it would be OK for them to see one another. Chickens are flock animals and seem to do best when in the company of other chickens. Is there some way to divide their current space with chicken wire or something so they each have some room? I wouldn't feel right leaving a chicken in a cage for several months.

Can someone help hen has pecked most my roosters heckel feathers in I've already put no peck lotion not sure what more to do !!
Your hen is suffering from a lack of protein. a ping-pong sized ball of ground beef or canned dog food every day for each bird should fix this feather picking or feather eating problem. Long term you should rethink your chickens' rations.

Hen scratch, laying pellets,oyster shells and feather fixer and a couple of tablespoons of can dog food what could I be missing

Back
Top Bottom