Hen squat walking

Jul 13, 2022
My hen is walking like she has to lay an egg but she already laid an egg today and yesterday. What could be wrong? I even gloved up and felt around inside but there’s nothing. Could she be prolapsing?

Also want to add that she has started to crow in the mornings and sometimes will crow during the day. She just developed this behavior a few months ago but still lays eggs (I’m aware of hens sex changing but I’m not sure if that’s what’s happening or if it’s just her personality). She is a very talkative girl to begin with and acts like a dog 😂 She follows me everywhere and screams during the day because she doesn’t like being cooped up for long.

Any help would be great, thanks 😊

My hen is walking like she has to lay an egg but she already laid an egg today and yesterday. What could be wrong? I even gloved up and felt around inside but there’s nothing. Could she be prolapsing?

Also want to add that she has started to crow in the mornings and sometimes will crow during the day. She just developed this behavior a few months ago but still lays eggs (I’m aware of hens sex changing but I’m not sure if that’s what’s happening or if it’s just her personality). She is a very talkative girl to begin with and acts like a dog 😂 She follows me everywhere and screams during the day because she doesn’t like being cooped up for long.

My two hens that underwent "gender transition" eventually went back to being laid after i put a rooster in there, and eggbinding would've been my first guess but you eliminated that.
Hens also squat to poop and is the same vent, so anything "plugging her" would've been noticed as well.
I'm wondering if prolapse wouldn't also be noticed during your exam? I could tell when my old leghorn lapsed so i feel like it's noticeable.
Perhaps it's an intermittent issue with the tract. Could be she's lost elasticity so it lapses when not under pressure and feels like eggtime.
It could also be a tumor that is pressing on the vent or the tract, and causing the full feeling.

Has the situation changed or any updates?

My two hens that underwent "gender transition" eventually went back to being laid after i put a rooster in there, and eggbinding would've been my first guess but you eliminated that.
Hens also squat to poop and is the same vent, so anything "plugging her" would've been noticed as well.
I'm wondering if prolapse wouldn't also be noticed during your exam? I could tell when my old leghorn lapsed so i feel like it's noticeable.
Perhaps it's an intermittent issue with the tract. Could be she's lost elasticity so it lapses when not under pressure and feels like eggtime.
It could also be a tumor that is pressing on the vent or the tract, and causing the full feeling.

Has the situation changed or any updates?
She just now laid a shell-less egg which she has done before.
So I’m guessing that was the problem because she’s back to normal. She has laid a few of these and I’ve given her oyster shell. Is there something else that I could do to prevent shell-less eggs?

So I’m guessing that was the problem because she’s back to normal. She has laid a few of these and I’ve given her oyster shell. Is there something else that I could do to prevent shell-less eggs?
How old is she?
so of the cuff here.,
first my pet peeve. I'm convinced through a year of research and experience that sorghum changes hormones. Check your feed. If it has sorghum, toss it out and get a grain or corn based feed. There a huge post by me and others here on BYC in this subject. Hormone issues are one HUGE reason for no shell.
You are adding oyster shell already. Great! Some grit too if they don't have access to dirt. I also give my girls high calcium and protein treats like cheap light bread, tuna fish weekly and meal worms. They need calories to lay, and feed these days doesn't have much calories, or protein. Feed products are about fattening them up to eat - buy don't satisfy layer needs really. I feed Nature Wise All Flock until Molt, then Nature Wise Feather Fixer until they are fluffed out again.
No sorghum.
There's one hormone in a chicken's system that makes the shell.
Hormones can be disrupted by stress and age. Can't help age, but a steady, safe environment and regular schedule eases stress.
Try these things if you can. See if there's imprudent in two weeks. Keep us posted?

Give her Calcium Citrate with D3 for 3-5 days to help firm up her eggs.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed for the majority of her intake, limit treats. Provide oyster shell free choice.

It's not that uncommon for a hen to crow, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Back
Top Bottom