Hen stopped Laying

pipit

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brooksville, FL
My 18 month old Araucana hen, Flossie, had finished her molt and started laying eggs again, only to stop a couple of weeks later. She hasn't laid any in over a week. My husband said he saw her in one of the nesting boxes yesterday and later when I checked there was a brown egg and a membrabe from a shell-less egg. I know the brown egg isn't Flossie's as she lays blue eggs. She seems perfectly fine; still eating, still pooping, still scratching. All the other chickens seem healthy and happy and the eggs have all had good shells, so I don't think it's a calcium deficiency. Is it normal for a chicken to stop laying for a while when not molting? Should I keep my eye out for any symptoms that might arise?

Most hens lay between 240 - 265 eggs in a year - unless it is a production breed chicken that are bred to be prolific layers and to produce well over 300 eggs a year.

100 days of down per year for the average hen is very normal. This time of the year they tend to slow down or stop laying. Their bodies are rejuvinating and gearing up for the big egg season and chick time - Spring.

I think your girl is fine and nature is having its way.

Back
Top Bottom