Hen thinks she’s a cat :)

Chickengirlsara

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2024
I have six hens and one rooster and my husband saw the rooster attacking the hen last week, making her comb bleed in several places.
Since then, she hangs out on my front porch or back patio with the cats and does not hang out with the flock. I have tried giving treats to the flock and she will run up and eat about 6 feet away because shes scared of the rooster.
The other hens and her behaved normally with each other, and he seems to not pay attention to her at all, so I think he may have forgotten what he was upset about. She follows me down the driveway now, and in general just does not want to be with the flock. She waits until late to go put up so that she won’t be around him until everyone is already roosted.
How do I get her to join the group again? She is very submissive so she wasn’t challenging him.

A rooster who is mean to humans is one thing, but a rooster who is mean to his hens may need management to step in (you) and fire him from his position.

Maybe others here will have more input regarding whether or not they think this was a one time event from him.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Pull up roost stay awhile.
You do not say the age of any of the birds in question.
Was one new the other already there ?

Back
Top Bottom