hen w/ the runs :-(

BelleInBoots

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 21, 2014
West GA
hey guys , i think one of my girls has a stubborn case of the runs. I have 16 pullets and was recently forced to pen them up on account of a not so friendly neighborhood hawk picken off 5 off em, and also had a flood in my feed room before I got my metal cans had had some wet feed which may have been around the time i started noticin it... I put out some DE and of course mayde sure to get them dry food but its been over a week now at least and im still seein it. what should I be lookin out for or should i be worried? anything i can do ta help clear her up whoever it may be? thanks!!!

hey guys , i think one of my girls has a stubborn case of the runs. I have 16 pullets and was recently forced to pen them up on account of a not so friendly neighborhood hawk picken off 5 off em, and also had a flood in my feed room before I got my metal cans had had some wet feed which may have been around the time i started noticin it... I put out some DE and of course mayde sure to get them dry food but its been over a week now at least and im still seein it. what should I be lookin out for or should i be worried? anything i can do ta help clear her up whoever it may be? thanks!!!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/?topic=17568.0 This is a link to the chicken poop chart. There are many different poops that are weird looking but normal. Not saying there isn't a problem but the poop chart is a good place to start.
smile.png

Coccidiosis would be a concern if she looks lethargic, is standing puffed up, or stops eating. That is treated with Corid or amprollium in the water. Worming them all with Valbazen, and using a probioticsuch as Probios powder in the water once a week may help. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. A sample of her droppings looked at by your vet could rule out several things.

The feed may have gotten wet with filthy contaminated water causing diarrhea. I recommend that you get rid of the feed and buy a new sack of feed and follow Eggcessive's advice. Eventually mold could be a deadly problem for your birds and DE wont do squat. Corid 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days, make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Corid can be found in the cattle section at a feed store. After 5 days treatment with corid, give your hen buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat for 2 or 3 days before dosing her with valbazen. Then do the same thing after valbazen treatment.
If the diarrhea hasnt cleared after all this...repost here again. Give the meds and buttermilk/egg treatments time to work though.

Last edited:
Hey guys Thanks for your responses. She does not look lethargic or act wierd in fact I cannot even tell which bird is leaving the droppings and they all appear to be eating and drinking. I did replace all there food and supplements when it happened a few weeks ago, got metal cans for storage and even got a new watering system that seems to be much cleaner. 15 out of my 16 birds have been fully vaccinated if that tells u anything helpful. And the 16th still appears to be thriving and laying regularly (rest are pullets).

OK looked at the chart and from what I can tell it looks most like the first ceacal picture. If this is normal why did it just appear to start?

OK looked at the chart and from what I can tell it looks most like the first ceacal picture. If this is normal why did it just appear to start?

Now that your chickens are eating more than just starter feed, some of the more fibrous stuff stays in the ceca longer for the nutrients to be absorbed. More digestive bacteria=more stink. About every 8 to 10 poops are cecal.

If you see any that look like this you should treat for coccidiosis.

The feedstore I go to had six with poop like this, three of them died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated they all three died from *severe* coccidiosis, so clearly this was not normal.

-Kathy

Okay thanks u all are so knowledgeable. I think they are a bit different
. Not foamy Li I'll post a pic. Lmao. Just a cpl
A day

Back
Top Bottom