Hen who "acts" like a roo! ;-)

Thank you for the info. I supposed to have six hens and they are around the age of three to four months. They are all different breeds. One Black Ostrolaup, one Rhode Island Red, one RIRmix with what appears to be a buckeye. One Buckeye, one Buff Orphington and the last that is a mix of what I was told a Dominique but it looks like a Buff Orphington and something??? Anyway - Love all of them to death and I have a question about the Black Ostrolaup and the Buckeye. Do chickens compete with each other on who can get on the fence and try and crow or act like a roo?

Hens will compete with each other to get on fences, but if they are actually crowing you probably have some roosters. I've heard stories of hens that crowed, but in 50 years of raising chickens, I've never seen it. If you will post post some pictures of your Black Australorp and Buckeye, we can tell you whether or not they are roosters.

Difficult to get a good picture but this picture
has the Buckeye in front of the other two chickens. The other two are mixes.
The smaller one that seems to be hiding is a mix that I feel is part Buckeye.

Mystery chicken. She's a mix named Maggie
Any suggestions on what Maggie is as far as a breed?
This is Ruby the Buckeye

Another picture of Ruby the Buckeye

Ruby the Buckeye
Mystery chicken. Looks like mix of RIR and Buckeye. Was told RIR

Mystery chicken told RIR but looks like a mixed Buckeye to me... Suggestions are welcome.

In hope the pictures are good enough to tell me what or if there are any roos in the bunch. The two mystery chickens. I'd like to have an idea on what they are.
Thanks bunches.

This is the one that was "trying" to crow... sounded kinda strange. Not a real crow. She moved her head as I took the pic I hope someone can identify if its a roo or a hen. black ostraloup. (Sorry for spelling errors)

"Maggie" which is brown with darker wings and some gray shading on part of the wings. The best picture she is in is when she is on the table.
"Ellie" the one that has white legs but kinda burgandy in color. The picture she is in is near the table approaching the feeder and water.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Can you give me any idea on the pics of the two birds that are "mixed" ?
Quote:
"Maggie" which is brown with darker wings and some gray shading on part of the wings. The best picture she is in is when she is on the table.
"Ellie" the one that has white legs but kinda burgandy in color. The picture she is in is near the table approaching the feeder and water.
Maggie is a mixed breed hen. I think Ella is a mixed breed as well (probably a Production Red). She appears to be a hen, but I can't see her comb and wattles very well in the picture.

sorry I am not good at identifying chicken breeds but, I spy a beautiful blue merle colored dog leaving one photo. Curious what the front half of him looks like.

Back
Top Bottom