Hen with Canker! Please help me know what to do to treat it!!

Pics
You can purchase metronidazole 250mg tablets online as "Fishzole." Otherwise you'll most likely have to buy metronidazole or flagyl from a vet.
Dosage for the metronidazole is one 250mg tablet given orally once a day for 5 days. Birds with canker are carriers and can spread it to other birds via waterers/feeders. To keep canker in check, I recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon acidified copper sulfate per gallon of water for 3 days once a month. Make sure you use a plastic waterer when using the copper sulfate and dont overdose using it.
You can order Fishzole (metronidazole) in this link:
http://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal.com/search?w=fish zole
You can order the copper sulfate in this link:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html
Thank you very much for this info. Due to this thread, and this reply in particular, my Lucy is back to eating & drinking again all by herself, for the first time in days!
I scraped the plaque out of her mouth. (Prob will need to do it again)
Found metronidazole at a local tropical fish shop a few days ago. Got two different brands that I’m switching between at 250mg per day. (They have different co-active ingredients… praziquantel & sodium chloride.) Used Fenbendazole for two days, until I was able to find the metronidazole. She’s doing well! Her mouth does not smell half as bad as it did the day I found her with this issue & the second/third day was the worst! She felt so horrible, I thought for sure I was going to lose her.
Thank you so much!! 🙏🏻❤️🥰

Thank you very much for this info. Due to this thread, and this reply in particular, my Lucy is back to eating & drinking again all by herself, for the first time in days!
I scraped the plaque out of her mouth. (Prob will need to do it again)
Found metronidazole at a local tropical fish shop a few days ago. Got two different brands that I’m switching between at 250mg per day. (They have different co-active ingredients… praziquantel & sodium chloride.) Used Fenbendazole for two days, until I was able to find the metronidazole. She’s doing well! Her mouth does not smell half as bad as it did the day I found her with this issue & the second/third day was the worst! She felt so horrible, I thought for sure I was going to lose her.
Thank you so much!! 🙏🏻❤️🥰
Such a roller-coaster. Lucy is back to super low energy & not eating or drinking. Only thing she would eat today was some apple, which I thought might be good to get some of that acid on the slimy stuff & also get some calories in her. I put probiotics on the apple, as well as some hydrolyzed white fish protein powder (they give it to starving people from the third world, because it will be absorbed immediately, rather than having to go through their digestive systems, which are often not working properly). It’s called “Seacure”.
Two more plaque-scraping sessions today.
Lord, this is a nasty type of infection.
Another epsom salt bath tonight.
I’m doing what I can… 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom