hen with eye injury and bumblefoot-found an odd swelling when an egg would be

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
I have a English black orpington (Penelope) 3 years old this month, that I found with a swollen eye 2 months ago, this girl also has bumble-foot and this past week what we thought was a egg waiting to be laid is not. When we got her 2 years ago she came with bumble foot that i treated with long acting penecillin and the antibodic you soak in--for fish...name escapes me at the monent, Tricide-Neo. She was laying the egg when I got in the coop this morning--so I'm worried about this swelling mass, the skin covering it has not changed color. I know this sounds strange but she acts like there is nothing wrong--good comb and wattle coloring, moves around just fine.
Treatment: 1 cc of injected Lincomix 100,daily, two sprays of vetyrcin wound spray to her eye.
Until this weekend i thought we were almost done, just waiting for the bumble foot to be completely gone, her eye had opened thursday and friday. as of Saturday her eye is swollen again and white gel like discharge it covers most of the eye, and this mass on the abdomen. I think it's resistant staph--and we need to change treatments but to what?

Last edited:
Oh no the poor girl! Is there a way for you to post pictures so we can see what she looks like and the problem areas?

Where is the swelling mass on her abdomen under her vent?

i think with her eye improving at 2ml of the antibodic that she may have a secondary infection causing diarrhea and the balloon like swelling in the abodmen area. any one care to offer an opienion?

Back
Top Bottom